Did I blow a trans?

Notices

Did I blow a trans?

Old 09-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Did I blow a trans?

I took the boat out today and I think I blew a trans. Transmissions are Velvet drives. The prop would turn slowly in neutral when I had it running on the trailer. When I went to get on plane, I incresed the revs to about 3000, then all of the sudden the revs shot up to 4200 on the port motor while the starboard motor stayed at 3000 rpm. I checked the fluid while the motor was running and it seems about 2 quarts full. If I did blow a trans, how hard is it to take it out? Does the motor have to be moved foward? The outdrives are TRS. Who in the Detroit are is good at building these? Is it possible for me to do it myself. I have done Turbo 400's and 700r4 for cars before. I need help quick so I can get this thing done fast.

Thanks
Pat Hughes
Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: Did I blow a trans?

Trans had too much fluid? Pressure test your trans cooler to see if you might have sucked water into it. Also check the flow thru the coolers. Hot trans fluids makes them slip. So does water.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How much pressure can I apply to the trans side of the cooler?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need much at all as you are just looking for a leak. What does the fluid smell like in the tranny? Pulling the motor is easy as long as you have a lift that will get the motor up enough. It takes me about two hours doing is slow to get the motor out. Good luck.

Jon
Old 09-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat, sorry for your luck, but I've been there a couple of times this season. If your prop is spinning in neutral, your clutch disks are warped. If it's slipping while underway, the clutches are worse. Eventually, they will weld into one mass, and you'll figure it out when you put it into reverse and the motor dies.

Drive has to come off and the motor needs to come out to get to the trans. That's the first hurdle. Do you have somewhere to do this?

I've had trans work done from a guy up in Port Huron that only does marine transmissions. He worked at Crusader for 27 years, now has a shop at his house. His work is first class. With advanced notice, he'll rebuild it while u wait, or get it done in a day in most cases.

Call me at 313-283-8148 and I can give you the details.

Good luck,
Brian
Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a teansmissions to me. There is great Marina in St. Clair, Rivers Bend Marina, the owner races and knows performance stuff.

Ed Smith [email protected]
Old 09-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I checked the fluid level today with the motor off and on the trailer and it looks like it is about 1/2 quart full. This is with the transmissions being almost level. I drained the fluid out by taking off the lower cooler line coming out of the trans and I drained the cooler too. I did not see any water come out and I dont see it seperating out of the fluid. The fluid still smells good and is still red. Based on what I have found so far , what may be the problem,
Old 09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As far as being able to pull the motor, I do not have a place to do this, but I may be able to fanagle a way to keep it at a freinds house in Richmond to work on it
Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Pat, Richmond... is that in Michigan? I have a shop in Gibraltar, MI and might be able to help out. Give me a call when you get a chance - 313 283-8148.

It's interesting that your trans fluid isn't burnt. The "extra" 1/2 quart might not be a problem, as you need to start the motor, and run in forward and reverse for 5 seconds each before checking levels. This usually drops the level about 3/8" on the stick.

Brian
Old 09-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a prop hub. Are yours solid or rubber?
Could be a broken drive. Does it turn with engine running, in gear, out of the water (no load)? Although a blown drive is usually obvious from the griniding, crunching noise.
Could be the shift cable/mechanism. Is it going completely in gear, by the lever on the trans.
Drive plate is unlikely to be the problem.
Trannys really burn the fluid fast when they slip, so I'm kinda curious that your was not burned.
My $0.02
Gary

Quick Reply: Did I blow a trans?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.