Gaffrie gauges

Notices

Gaffrie gauges

Old 09-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gaffrie gauges

I am having same trouble as previosly posted by others with the red warning light comming on and gauge not being accutate after its on, happens always on oil press., and sometimes dimmly on oil temp., bothe are normal before light comes.
I am wondering if anyone has tried to dissconnect wire to red light in gauge if there is such a wire, and maybee gauge would work properly just wouldn't have warning light.

Thanks any imput would be appreciated JMPH
Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Gaffrie gauges

I tried different gauges different senders and worked with Ed at Gaffrig.

My solution after 2 years of nerve racking boating was to buy 2 mechanical gauges. They work great and I no longer have a mystery pressure issue with a blinky light.
I would guess the non redline gauges also work just fine but for me I was so fed up I decided to go this route.
I suggest dumping the cheesy plastic tube and trying out something better so you won't have leaks behind the dash!

BTW I purchased these from Fred he had them in stock at a great price!

Last edited by Scott; 09-13-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The following is my letter to Gaffrig early 2003 this may help you determine if you have the same symptoms.

After the letter I tried yet another gauge and it failed within the first month or so. Ed did say that the gauge will not work well below 11 volts I might have had some power issues but not enough to cause the problems I had. I'm sure they sell a ton of these without issues and I would of loved to solve the mystery but when it comes to Oil Pressure I had to throw in the towel. I also like the looks of the new gauge and will probably get rid of the other Redlines they just don't have that rugged hardware type look.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Livorsi Marine, Inc.
10 Gaffrig Drive
Grayslake, Il 60030

Technical Dept.

Please find enclosed a Gaffrig Redline oil gauge. This is my second bad gauge I have dealt with in the last year. I have searched all over and could not find my original to send back the one that is enclosed is from last years purchase.
When running the gauge will start giving fluctuating pressure never lower than 20 but all over the place above 20. The light will also come on and stay on (bright and dim) as the gauge shows pressure around 30 or so. I was convinced that I had a motor problem until I tried a mechanical gauge and found that my oil pressure was perfect. I took this reading from the fitting at the remote oil cooler and not where the sender attaches although I can’t see this making a difference. I have also swapped senders from one motor to the other and have experienced the same problem. When you sent me the new gauge the problem seemed to go away for a couple of days and then returned. I am an electronic tech and cannot understand why the light circuit that is set for 10 lbs can come on when the gauge registers 30 or higher. I would also like to add that this problem is intermittent and shows up only when underway. I can sometimes shut that side down and have the problem go away and sometimes it won’t.
Please do what you can to analyze and correct my problem it is very frustrating to see fluctuating oil pressure and a warning light when underway. I will gladly listen to and try any suggestions that you may have. I hope it is in the gauge and not something more serious. As a side note I would also like to add that there was a subject brought up on Offshore Only technical forums and it was interesting to see that other people are experiencing the same type of symptoms. I will be looking forward to hearing from you soon. (Boating season is close).
Old 09-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies, but does anybody know if there is a wire to disconnect so the red light does not come on, because the gauge only goes wacky when it does.

thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks... Thats very nice of you.

Joe