Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Valves Collide with Pistons .... >

Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Notices

Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Originally Posted by cig1988
Mike, just trying to help you out. I replaced the cam because it was worn, once the new cam was installed the reversion problem started. I only ran the engine in the driveway but had I ran the boat WOT in open water, I'm sure it would have been a simular problem to yours. It drove me nuts for weeks on end and with help from Marc @ BAM he helped to steer me in the right direction.
I wish I had a pic of the top of a merc riser to show you the differance. I can get a pic of the aftermarket riser if you want. Alot of good advice here on this thread for you to follow. Hope it all works out for you.
Stan
Stan .... so your saying you went back to stock merc em's & risers ? I believe mine are Sierras ...
Old 10-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, After changing intake manifold & riser gasket's, pressure testing everything that held water etc etc. I swaped the exhaust from one side to the other and the problem went away. While I was doing this I noticed the top of the merc riser had a more defined venturie compared to the sierra. When both engines were running it was plain to see one side was throwing more water than the other. This problem cost me just about the entire month of July. Us snow people have a short season as it is.
Also, use the silver merc riser gaskets but install them dry. Hope this will help, Stan
Old 10-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Registered

So those Gil Manifolds and pipes I am looking at ....might be the time to convert ?

I can understand the water problem ...but the valve sticking gets me ...after a month or so ...time for things to corrode up ...but ran it 1.5 hours in the morning and then the 20 min ride home in the afternoon .....

Last edited by offthefront; 10-06-2004 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Water will definetly decrease the lubrication of the valve. Weather its stainless and bronze guides. The #2,4,5,6 cylinders are effected the most when there's reversion or water entering through the exhaust. With the riser off look into the EM and water will find the least resistance.
How much milk was in the oil?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

first time there was water in the oil .. 2nd time only the #5 plug had some moisture .....Of course that was the bent valve (open) ....
Old 10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Shop called this afternoon and floored me with some good news ..Jasper is going to send a new long Block ...This motor was installed in July 03 ..Jasper's Hi-performance Warranty is 6 months Parts/labor 12 months Parts ... So Jasper is really stepping up in my opinon ...Especially since I am not the original puchaser of the motors ....They even have said if I send the old motor back and they find a problem they will pay the Labor for the swap ....Finally someone steps up .......
Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike-- That is really great news! Let us know if they find the cause(s) of your problem. Classy move by Jasper. They deserve a lot of credit for helping out. Now just make sure you take advantage of this good fortune by installing a bullet proof exhaust. Good Luck! Lou
Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good deal, glad it worked out this way. Great news when somebody stands behind thier work.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Registered

I'm looking at swapping Exhaust while we are doing this ...I found a nice set of Gil's ....They are dry which I dont wont but Gil has told me you can modify the pipes to make em wet and EM's are the same ...I might run them dry thru the Silent Thunder and see how it works ..this particular set of Gils dumps the water inside the pipe at the end ...So i would sil get the water feed inside the silent thunder ..any thoughts ?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I run dry gil's in the '88 Bullet...loud as a s.o.b. On the '88 Bullet its stock merc w/silent choice. Dry pipes limit the reversion and the only option would be the bolt on silencers. The wet exh you may use the merc "Y" pipe and silent choice if you have that.
Pending on where you boat with noise restrictions is your choice. If you do purchase a good used set have them pressure tested. The manifolds are easy to do. The gil dry risers may need to be sent to gil.

Quick Reply: Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.