high oil temperatures

Notices

high oil temperatures

Old 09-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: high oil temperatures

Originally Posted by boatman747
I have 2 540s built by DEERBERY Performance in Texas . 632 lift cams, gil offshore exhaust. Should be putting out abt 600 hp or so . I am going to the dyno next week . Also the port side of both oil pans spit oil at high rpms 9.1 compression . I am running a V6 module at 34 degrees total timing. When I put the boat in gear it idles at 200rpms . This is another problem . Electric fuel pumps. 7 PSI.
Is Deerbery performance automotive or marine primarily? To get 34 total degrees don't you need to start at 20 base with a v-6 module? That seems excessive, but that is just me. I would verify the tach and the 200rpm idle. My engines always die once they get below about 400rpm. Dyno is a great idea. Since the engines are out you could address any possible windage or pan problems that may be contributing to the oil temp problems. When you are running along can you smell oil burning? That often indicated windage issues which can result in temp issues.

BT
Old 09-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatman747
I am wondering if I should upgrade to 3/4 inch oil lines ?
Getting rid of elbows will help more. As long as you have 5/8" lines you are fine. Does this block have pressure differential (bypass) valve like standard bbc?

BT
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Registered

A little smell is noticable . He is strictly a hot boat marine builder. The motors kick butt. Im turning 30 inch 4 blade bravos abt 5400 according to my tach . But the engines fall when I put them in gear > They idle in nuetral at 1100 or so . Then fall till I hit the throttle .I think mobil one will help . But hopefully next weeks dyno run will tell the tale !!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Getting rid of elbows will help more. As long as you have 5/8" lines you are fine. Does this block have pressure differential (bypass) valve like standard bbc?

BT
yes it does . I ahve a few elbows now that you mention it .I thought of that myself . Thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a lot of other threads here. Have you made sure all of your oil is going through the cooler? If your engine has the wrong bypass in it the oil will not go through the filter or the cooler. Personally, the bypass on my 540's is plugged. That way I know all of my oil is filtered and cooled. Is it plumbed correctly? The oil should flow in the opposite direction as the water in the cooler. Which cooler are you using, 3 x 16 would be a minimum. If all this checks out I would increase the jet size on the secondaries by 2 and see if that has any effect.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered

Yes it is plummed correctly. I have new blocks so I have to assume I have the correct bypasse valves in the block. I have the new Hardin 3/4inch block adaptor bushed down to 1/2 inch . going to a stock filter bracket assembly. The cooler is 3inch X 18 .
Old 09-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Boatman,you said the port side of both pans spits oil? Are these hardin pans? I used the hardin 14 qt oil pan from cp performan\ce,it is suppossed to be a copy of the gil pan,when i installed mine i tried to use the nice felpro 1 piece gskt that i use on most motors but it fit TERRIBLE. I could actually slide a .010 feeler gauge betwen block and gskt,luckily i caught this while it was still on the stand. I bought another felpro 1 piece gskt and the fit was just as bad,i don't blame the gskt,i blame the pan,just curious if you ran into same problem. I ended up using cork gskt's with lots of black rtv,it doesn't leak but i wouldn't buy another hardin pan again. Patriyacht is right,are you running correct bypass valve set-up,there has been alot posted on here lately about near identical problems,good luck,Smitty
Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

If things are tuned right and rigged right, most of these oil temp problems are cylinder to piston clearance problems. That is, they are bored/clearanced for automotive applications. I don't believe you will find that in any other thread on the subject. It is the answer no one ever wants to hear, but I believe it to be true. Everything else we discuss are bandaids.

BT
Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Causes of high oil temps:
Incorrectly plumbed cooler (opposite water flow) or filter, wrong bypass valve.
Can be checked easily.
Too much ignition timing, too lean carb, restricted fuel supply/pressure. (check the plugs).
No windage tray. Did your builder install one?
My $0.02
Gary
Old 09-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Merc HP500 coolers on my 540s and I haven't seen over 220*. I'd worry about 300.

Quick Reply: high oil temperatures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.