why do blower engines surge at idle? >

why do blower engines surge at idle?

Notices

why do blower engines surge at idle?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I do not claim to be any kind of an expert, but I think if your carb guy would "boost reference" your carbs that it would help kill the surging/hunting problem for you. Perhaps someone else can chime in about boost referencing a carb for blower apps.
for years i used non boost referenced.my 588s in my fountain have referenced qft 1050s and i like them.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not claim to be any kind of an expert, but I think if your carb guy would "boost reference" your carbs that it would help kill the surging/hunting problem for you. Perhaps someone else can chime in about boost referencing a carb for blower apps.
they are/were.. Makes no difference on idle .. Onlychanges the way the fuel curve works when you roll into boost..There is no boost at idle..
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The power valve has zero to do with the idle circuit. The power valve when opened, enriches the main/high speed circuit. Your engine would not idle any different if you took out 88 jets and replaced them with 94 jets. Thats what the power valves job is.

The only way the power valve will cause an idle issue, is if the diaphragm is ruptured, and the engine vacuum is pulling raw fuel thru it.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I have the reverse problem,, stock 454mag with stock cam and a B&M420 blower,,idle surges like crazy,
stock cam pulls too much vacuum and when blower surges vacuum drops,,it will swing from 18" of vacuum to 8" of vacuum,,had carbs gone thru twice by Dan DaVinci with no imprvement,,he has tried every trick in the book,,idle will not settle down unless you lean it way out and then you cant put it in gear without it dying..
I had this same setup on my last engine, 509 with custom cam and idled perfectly at 10-12" vaccum.
vid:
https://www.facebook.com/Frank.No.Pr...type=3&theater
What location are your idle feed restrictors in your metering blocks? Top or bottom?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Also going to a milder cam, smaller cid, and etc his carbs need either idle air bleed and/or idle feed restriction change.

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I have the reverse problem,, stock 454mag with stock cam and a B&M420 blower,,idle surges like crazy,
stock cam pulls too much vacuum and when blower surges vacuum drops,,it will swing from 18" of vacuum to 8" of vacuum,,had carbs gone thru twice by Dan DaVinci with no imprvement,,he has tried every trick in the book,,idle will not settle down unless you lean it way out and then you cant put it in gear without it dying..
I had this same setup on my last engine, 509 with custom cam and idled perfectly at 10-12" vaccum.
vid:
https://www.facebook.com/Frank.No.Pr...type=3&theater

Last edited by SB; 03-01-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like a little surge . With my single its easy to shift it into gear and time it coming down . All this talk is starting to get me motivated for spring. To bad we are getting pounded with another snowstorm right now.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFletch
I like a little surge . With my single its easy to shift it into gear and time it coming down . All this talk is starting to get me motivated for spring. To bad we are getting pounded with another snowstorm right now.
I have a 177 on my 454 that I just built. It has a dominator carb on it. I am hoping it surges. Probably wont but I can dream.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Mine surges enough at idle speed to make it a target of "no wake" policing. Thinking I need to fix that... but dam if it isn't cool!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Been running blowers for a long time and I've never had any surge. When I hear a big cube blower motor with carbs that has little to no surge, I smile because the person took the time to tune it.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I know mine needs to be be tuned in the boat... didn't surge on the dyno. Once the blower comes back from the shop, I'll be able to work on it some. I don't really want it to surge.... makes things a pain.

Quick Reply: why do blower engines surge at idle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.