Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems >

Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Notices

Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 PM
MAG502NUM

Default Re: Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Brian- I agree with you on the rearend failures...this has not been a common problem, but niether has ZF trans problems. I would suspect that the pilot bearing was trashed B-4 your tranny went. I think Ford would do good to be in the Avis role for awhile [2nd and trying harder]. They have sold a zillion of these HD pick-ups, but won't be on top for long if they don't start directing some of the massive profits on these units back to good customers like yourself for DISCERNING warranty repairs! Good Luck! Buy American!

Old 09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
MAG502NUM

Originally Posted by CMG
BTW, I have a 03 F250 SD with 5.4 22K, I pull 9,000 lbs and the heat gage is always rock solid, never gets even a little hot. Do I have anything to worry about like the others? Thanks,
CMG- the "heat guage" is an idiot light with a needle, when it reads too hot, its too late IMO.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

502 magnum,i wasn't trying to dish the fords at all,i was just trying to share some information i have learned over the years rebuilding and upgrading transmissions. If you read my post explaining the history of this ford transmission you'll see where i mention it was redesignated as a 4r100 in late 97 and i mention the improved designs and pieces they put in it.Your method of changing the fluid would also work as long as you were pumping synthetic in it as fast as you were pumping it out but i have seen backyard mechanics (not just on fords) unhook a cooler line,pump the fluid until it was dry,run it too long and damage the babbit in the torque convertor bushing ripping it out of the pump and wiping out the convertor snout and or pump.Your right about the transmission providing good service when used in a STOCK
application,it is a fairly good unit after redesignation to a 4r100 with the upgrades that went in it with the exception of the 2nd sprag and the cracking internally of the welds or stamping of the lockup clutch dampner plate and a few other small problems. I have seen the mechanical diode sprag fail even behind a 5.4 in a expedition.The aftermarket doesn't even sell clutches that have the correct splines to fit the outer race on that part(it is different than earlier versions and the later versions)because no shop that doesn't want to replace it for free later ever puts it back in.Us guys that build these after the warranty from the factory is up beef the second sprag up further by putting in a aftermarket 45 element one way roller that replaces the factory 34 element piece.As far as far as the torque shift transmision i haven't had one come to me broken and out of the factory warranty yet. I fix fords,dodges and chevy's,but i live in a area predominantly GM so i fix more gm's than anything else,Smitty
Old 09-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Kaama,i haven't had a dodge newer than 2002 in my shop yet and haven't seen much tech come thru on them yet,not aware of any upgrades or problems either. Does your truck specify the chrysler 7176 spec fluid like the older ones,if it does it would benefit from synthetic fluid but you would have to put in a friction modifier (like lubegard black or platinum) to prevent a torque convertor shudder at partial lockup apply. It takes a few years of the newest stuff being out and coming out of warranty before i start to see it and the aftermarket starts gearing up to address things the factory can never seem to fix.
Brian,the allison 1000 transmision is the first electronic shift transmision GM has put in something that was right from the beginning,there were a batch of bad solenoid blocks supposedly in a few of them but my buddies that work on new trucks at the dealers have never seen it. There are some companys starting to make some parts(hd clutch packs,extra hd torque convertors valve body upgrades) for the guys that want to go crazy modifying the duramax's . The biggest thing i tell people is the screw job gm did on the trans fluid. Allison makes this transmission independently for gm and hd truck applications (they also have one called a allison 2000 w/deeper pan). Allison was willing to warranty them to gm in the duramaxes for 100,000 miles IF gm used their specified fluid (allison transynd ,it was developed in a joint venture w/castrol). Gm feels it's unnecesary so they install dexron 3 fluid on the assembly line to save money and the consumer gets a 36,000 mile warranty because of this! The transynd fluid cost me 45$ a gallon,if the typical high end consumer was told he had the option of paying another 200$ when purchasing one of these trucks to get it with a better fluid and it would have a 100,000 mile warranty NO ONE WOULD DECLINE! I encourage everyone that owns one to convert their fluid when servicing their truck. Allison's guide lines also say the service interval is 100,000 miles w/transynd fluid instead of 25,000 w/dexron. Allison says to convert the fluid out you should pull drain plug which gets about 7 qts out & change external screw on filter,top off with transynd ,drive vehicle 5000 miles and repeat again a total of three times then it is considered changed over(your warranty remains 36,000 miles w/gm though). They also say not to attempt to flush it out or pump it out by any other method,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 09-19-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty, seeing you're from GM country, talk to me about the Allisons. Have you been inside any? Is the 5-speed 1000 as good as everyone says? How do they hold up towing loads?

I don't understand why Ford doesn't take other the manufacturers lead and just OEM known proven products. The 7.4 Powerstroke has evolved into a decent motor, but now it's gone. The replacement 6.0 is seeing it's fair share of infant mortality. From your earlier posts, look how long to took to get the 4-speed auto right. Now it's been replaced with the Torqueshift.

Seems to me that a Ford SD truck with a small Cat motor and an Allison trans would be an unstoppable combo. Add a Detroit Locker rear and these things should last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Sure would hurt their parts and service business, tho. I guess this is the trade-off they have chosen - make good money on service at the cost of Customer Sat. Once you own one, you have little choice but to fix it when it breaks. But ask for some reasonable assistance when the failures become excessive, fugetaboutit.

Smitty... about those Allisons?

Cheers,
Brian
Old 09-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Smitty, our posts crossed.