Headers or Manifolds ? >

Headers or Manifolds ?

Notices

Headers or Manifolds ?

Old 09-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headers or Manifolds ?

I have a 29 scarab with twin 350 mpi's. It has the corsa quick n quiet but its not selectable. Its fixed 50/50 transom/outdrive. Looking for facts or opinion on what to do. Leave it the way it is, buy the adapter kit i've heard about to convert to 100% transom, good set of manifolds, or headers. Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headers or Manifolds ?

I personally like a selectable exhaust, closed for sneakn' around and open for fun, or if anyone on the boat is yakkn' too much, when it's open they shut theirs.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

All engines respond well to better breathing exhuast system, but I have heard it said that small block Chevy's REALLY wake up to a decent exhaust system. I would suppose any aftermarket system like a Stainless Marine or a GIL system will work much better over a stock Merc exhaust system. I thought I saw a used set of GIL's for a small block Chevy in the classifieds section.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

am i better off with a set of hi perf manifolds or headers ?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Registered

An aftermarket exhaust manifold system such as Stainless Marine or GIL ARE hi-performance exhaust systems. A full length tubular system would be even better yet such as Stellings, but they cost even more $$$ than the aftermarket hi-performance manifolds as mentioned above.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Registered

very true
Old 09-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bern's 29scarab
am i better off with a set of hi perf manifolds or headers ?

I asked the same ? before getting my Revolution Marine exhaust. Problem is, there are numerous opinions and few facts. The only data/stats on performance I could find were from the various manufactures, which needless to say were bias.

I will tell you I saw little WOT gain, but got great mid range improvement. And I'm ok with that, considering the $ I spent.

Had I gone out and spent 3 times the amount on decent SS headers and seen no top end improvement, I would have been really pizzed off.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

thank you very much...boat currently has corsa quick n quiet with no captains choice so its fixed 50/50 transom/drive. looking for performance of course but also some sound improvement...
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

Bern's,

You aren't really going to get much of a black/white answer to this. Obviously, you are the one who has to ultimately make up your own mind about what you want to do about an aftermarket exhaust system. As Kidnova said, if just adding hi-perf manifolds to a stock Merc engine, then you are probably only going to see minimal gains. Usually, people do notice more of a difference in the midrange which is where you cruise anyway. You may also notice a bit of an RPM gain. One thing that you can count on is that hi-perf manifolds and the stainless steel tailpipes that come with them will really dress up your engines nicely and they will add a little more rumble and thunder.

Also, one thing you should know is if you DO add some hi-perf manifolds and then decide to add more Hi-perf components at some future date, then your engines will respond much better to the mods because you have a better breathing exhaust. If it weren't true, then most everyone would still be running their Big Bad engines with the stock Merc exhaust system which is pretty crude at best---but they don't. I wish you the best as well.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightnings are good choice for the money...
Not sure if they make them for SBC.

Quick Reply: Headers or Manifolds ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.