startup problem >

startup problem

Notices

startup problem

Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startup problem

I just bought a 24' Baja with a 460 OMC King Cobra engine and drive. When I bought it about a month ago, it would start right up, after cranking for only a few seconds. When I let the boat sit awhile now, for say a week, it takes awhile for it to start up. Once it starts though, and I go to start it again, it will start right up. Any suggestions on what I could do to improve this? Do I just need a tuneup? Also, last time I added gas, I put in some carb/fuel injection cleaner. Could this have anything to do with this? I know the engine is not fuel injected, but I thought that this would not have any adverse efffects, being as that I do need my carb a little cleaner. HELP!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: startup problem

Before the next cold start attempt, the first thing you do is take off the flame arrester. Next, hold the choke butterfly open with a screwdriver, then have somebody else hit the throttle while you are looking down the carb, but don't turn the key on, just pump the throttle a few times. You should see fuel swirt out of the accelerator pump. If not, the carb is most likely bleeding down.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: startup problem

What type of carb.I have found edellbrocks hard to start after sitting.I run a holley now with no choke that starts easy if you give it a pump shot before cranking.It is hard to keep running when first putting the boat into gear but no problem for the rest of the day once it's warm.No matter what type of carb,give it a shot of gas by pumping before cranking.As mentioned above make sure you are getting a pump squirt and the carb isn't drying out.I added a high speed idle selenoid that I switch on while sitting at the warf to aid in warm up and prevent a too low of reversion causing idle.I switch it off to prevent drive abuse when shifting into gear.