TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

Notices

TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

Old 09-23-2004, 02:27 PM
VP
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

Several of our SPBA club members have been getting ticketed on Seneca Lake for having switchable exhaust, or for being above our db limit -- one was even a f*$^& cruiser --

Our club Prez (Need-the-Speed) visited the local law enforcement office and the bottom line is that this enforcement is NOT going to go away

Sooooooooo --- i have a question for you "Formula" Owners -- A friend of mine, who has a Formula (it is "pretty boat" too ) has this Silent Thunder exhaust box that neatly attaches to the bottom of his swim platform -- i must say that i am very impressed with how effective it is at providing just the right amount of rumble, yet still be within the noise limits --

Therefore - can anyone tell me what the construction is internally -- This setup could easily be applied to my Fountain, or any other boat having an integrated swim platform --

i realize it is patented, but we can still build them without infringing on the patent, as long as we don't sell them -- Maybe a few (or many) could chip in and have the right resource develop molds for something like this, and possibly make it generic enough to fit several makes and models, singles or twins

So -- can someone help me with this, and maybe provide some pictures of this Silent Thunder system -- i have seen pics of Formulas with this system removed -- it must just bolt up to the bottom of the swim deck - and without a watertight seal maybe -- not sure though --

This might be a cheaper alternative to those good $1000 mufflers, or $2000 for you twin guys --

so what do you think
Old 09-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

what about the shot-guns that open and close automatically,, not illegal and will have that sound we all love above whatever rpm they fully open..

P.S. I got busted on lake george last month, luckily I had switchable eddie marine mufflers,,, the guy asked me if I had any silent choice or cut-outs I said nope, he told me to start the boat and KLUNK the tips enaged he didn't ask I barely passed with 98-102 db, later in the day guy we were with got busted for 250.00 108 DB, I'm sure I would have been right with him..

Last edited by Chris288; 05-12-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks what you guys have to deal with.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

BD,
Which is worse, noise regs or Manatee Zones? I'll go with the mufflers any day over IDLEING forever!
MD
Old 09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
VP
Registered

i had a set of shotguns on my cig with a 540 blower motor --- took the sharp bite out at idle but still too loud

This silent thunder has a deep throaty rumble - but super quiet at idle -- engine in the Formula is an HP 500 -- they have more compression than a blower motor so it really works well
Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
M2
Registered

about that "pretty boat"....didn't you mean "pretty friggin fast boat" ?

i agree with you. the sound is just right. seems to me that the silent thunder platform idea could be duplicated pretty easily. seems to be a real simple set up and as long as you weren't selling it, i don't think there would be a patent infringement problem.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

On the fountains with the swim platforms i have always wanted to try and just attach a formed piece plexyglass under the swim platform to close off that opening you have.....i think with that small piece inplce it would realy quiet the fountains down alot since the exhaust would have to bubble out from undernieth the boats swim platform at that point???? any thoughts???

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

DAMN, Chamber; Is "Senator Randy" moving the "anti performance boating" campaign east from Keuka to Seneca?? I could have a stroke, but I just might to have to vote for a Dem. this time. --- JP
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 AM
VP
Registered

Talking Re: TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

Wow Troutly - nice looking job -- i did a similar setup on my cigarette - it was not nearly as clean looking as yours -- i used cast aluminum 90's and hose -- what did you use -- looks like your 90's are attached right to the tips

your setup does indeed work at idle too - it works great in that respect and doesn't take power away at high speeds

I still want to try and figure out if a setup like Formula would work though -- I see you have a Formula - did you have that Silent Thunder on that?????

and to you jpclear - i think i will change my vote as well this year

and M2 - you do have a pretty boat
Old 09-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly
$100 and you got some Snufflers!!!!!

Wont help you on plane unless you have using them with mufflers, but off plane they work
Are those HPI's?

Quick Reply: TOO LOUD !!!!! possible inexpensive fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.