Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up >

Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Notices

Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Old 09-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

No problem I had this issue first part of the season which is short here in Maine. If the limit switch is bad the trim button in the handle will allow the drive to go down BUT not up. And yes those wires that you see coming through the drive are the sender and limit switch. You can change them out with the drive on. Be ready to spend a little time though because it is a tight spot to work and the one very small bolt that holds the clamp rings for the packing gland through the transom is a pain to get back in place. If you have a wife or someone with small hands they can be very helpful for this. Have fun!!
Brian
Old 09-26-2004, 12:34 PM
JGB
Registered

Default Re: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Brian I took a look but can't see how to run the wiring back into the boat from the sender. Changing out the physical senders on both sides looks to be no problem. Do you have any idea how the wires are brought in through the transom with out pulling the drive? Thanks

Jim
Old 09-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

Jim with the drive turned all the way to one side you should be able to look up above the drive-shaft bellows. You will see the wires going through the transom. If I was at home I could take a picture of it for you. There is a packing gland with one bolt that is holding it. From inside the boat you should be able to trace it from the trim unit through the upper part of the transom plate you will see the wiring going through. Hope this helps
Brian
Old 09-26-2004, 04:24 PM
JGB
Registered

thanks, So Brian, from the inside of the boat I should be able to access the packing gland with the bolt? Do you happen to know what size the bolt is? Sounds like I should be able to tackle this. Did you seal the incoming wires in the packing gland with any sealant(5200) as it goes through hull?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Registered

Nope I did not use any sealant on mine just the packing gland. You can not get to the bolt from the inside of the engine compartment. I am about 95% sure it is a 9/16" bolt. From inside the boat you should be able to locate where the wires come into the boat to give you a referance on where to look on the outside of the boat.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 AM
JGB
Registered

Very good, thanks for the clarification Brian! I'll order the parts and see if I can get it done. thanks again.

Jim
Old 09-27-2004, 02:09 PM
JGB
Registered

Brian I got the trim limit/ sender kit and couldn't figure how to get the wrench or socket in there with out removing the drive and gimbal assembly. (alpha ss) But I also notced the bellow had a rip so I'm taking the rig in to change out all the rubbers in the drive and will have them install the trim limit/sender kit as well. Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Jim
Old 09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Registered

No problem. I was actually replacing my bellows then decided to do the trim switches due to corroded wires. Good idea on bringing the boat in for the bellows replacement I did mine and it was a pain in the a$$.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
JGB
Registered

Yeah Brian, I read some of the past posts regarding the bellows and coupled with the trouble I was having with the trim limit/sender wiring it was a no brainer for me. Hope to have the rig back tonight or by tomorrow mid day. When I bring it home I'll fuel up cause I removed the old fuel and changed the sender as part of the freshening up. I plan on running it on the hose. I'm thinking of using a decarbonizer to break up some of the carbon that may be built up in the engine. Do you have any ideas if the decarbonizers actually work or are worth doing?

Almost there, Jim

Ps, I am waiting on one interior panel and the windshield..When I install those I am ready to splash. Hope I get interior piece and windshield this week so I can run her this weekend.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Registered

I have had good luck with SeaFoam brand top engine cleaner or go to your local GM dealer and get the GM brand top engine cleaner. Judging by the amount of black soot that comes out the exhaust after a treatment I would say they work.

Quick Reply: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.