Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
bravo to arneson surface conv. >

bravo to arneson surface conv.

Notices

bravo to arneson surface conv.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bravo to arneson surface conv.

Rik is the man to talk to for anything Arneson related since he is Arneson. Drives, parts, service and he can field any questions you can throw at him. Rik has always responded quickly and correctly.

700's are way too much for Bravos. That may be why Merc changed their engine package back to 525's away form the 575's. On my CIg I have Bravos and 600SC's and without even running hard you can twist a prop shaft and have other hidden serious damage.

Below is a pic of my CAT. The bonus is you not only get the performance and the rooster tail. The Arneson's are bullet proof.

Last edited by The Menace; 05-11-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Is that cat a Talon 37ft, what power?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ca Formula, Whats your speed with bravos? We had Teague 800's and bravo XRs on extension boxes with 1.35 gear ratio and 28 bravo 4 blades turning in at 5900 rpm. 98 to 100 GPS. Converted to Arensons 1.32 Ratio 16.75 x 29 5 blade Herings turning in. 104 to 106 but faster with 17 x 31 4 blade Merc props. Same engines but boat accelerates like you added 400 hp with the Arensons. Owner loves the Arensons and will never buy a Bravo again. Send me a e-mail and I'll send you pics of conversion [email protected]
Old 10-14-2004, 02:34 AM
Registered

It's a damned shame that the surface drive system never got to really competitive price realm. The theory and performance short term and long term cost are so much better than the old standby outdrive. Maybe Konrad can expand line and make a surface drive at competitive or at least more reasonable price. Maybe if boat manufacturers (and buyers) demanded new technology economies of scale would kick in and bring prices down.

Until that happens the 3X$ per drive differential will keep all surface drives in category of specialties. I just had to replace my TRS drives but couldn't step up to base cost and engineering challenges on top of that---damn the luck.

Cuda has the neatest, most fun seeming boat I've ever lusted after. The only other alternative is a Magnum and they are over priced and over complicated as well
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DIAMOND PERFORMANCE
Is that cat a Talon 37ft, what power?
39 Ocean Express 1000's and Arneson 8's.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OffDuty
Converted to Arensons 1.32 Ratio 16.75 x 29 5 blade Herings turning in. 104 to 106 but faster with 17 x 31 4 blade Merc props. Same engines but boat accelerates like you added 400 hp with the Arensons. Owner loves the Arensons and will never buy a Bravo again. Send me a e-mail and I'll send you pics of conversion [email protected]
Once on plane acceleration with the arneson's and 5 blade Rollas 17.5 x 32 you are literally thrown back in the seat. Turned 118.2 at 5500 rpm with red line at 6000.

My 8's are not trimable so we have them tucked in just a little for various water conditions. Improves the ride on rough water but looses top end on smooth water.

Only have smooth water when in Fort Myers.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OffDuty
Ca Formula, Whats your speed with bravos? We had Teague 800's and bravo XRs on extension boxes with 1.35 gear ratio and 28 bravo 4 blades turning in at 5900 rpm. 98 to 100 GPS. Converted to Arensons 1.32 Ratio 16.75 x 29 5 blade Herings turning in. 104 to 106 but faster with 17 x 31 4 blade Merc props. Same engines but boat accelerates like you added 400 hp with the Arensons. Owner loves the Arensons and will never buy a Bravo again. Send me a e-mail and I'll send you pics of conversion [email protected]
Very similar numbers 1.30, boxes, w/28" B1's...5900-6000 @100 gps out of prop at that point...pulls to 100 pretty easy. Tach's are a little suspect??..engines have not been lake tuned (dyno only) this will happen possibly next week?
seem to be under proped ..but best for now to keep load down on drives as much as possible. I am really impressed at the stability of the boat at the higher speeds. This conversion really sounds like it may be the ticket....
I would guess I could sell these near new B-Max's for a few bucks??
I think they are pretty stout up to about 850 HP?? Thats what the warranty is based on.

I recall your boat from Havasu Poker run a few years back..still had bravos..I think you broke one that week end...very impressive rigging, engine set up, etc.

I would like to see the pic' s of conversion.

Thanks,

[email protected]
Kevin Laney (562) 254-6185
Old 10-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Steve, I think Craig's ready to go on the Arnesons for his Cig. All he needs is a little push.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody heard much about the Pulse drives?? Trimable surface drive with platform above it- 650hp and under sells for 10,500 plus prop, and next size up is 4,000 more which I guess is getting near Arneson price.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:32 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

imongo in eth board converted a 35 cig to pules drives.

I like the arneson better than the pulse. No goofylooking platform or rudder.

as for price of ASD vs. bravo if you are popping bravos its WAY cheaper to buy an ASD. At 15 for the kit the price isnt; bad. It compe siwtha a TRICK custom machined extension box and thedrive itself. Price out a new bravo and extension box and see how much it costs.

Quick Reply: bravo to arneson surface conv.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.