Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
bravo to arneson surface conv. >

bravo to arneson surface conv.

Notices

bravo to arneson surface conv.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bravo to arneson surface conv.

I was talking to the Manager at Ilmor today and he told me of another surface drive manufacturer that has a really nice surface drive setup that uses a single cylinder drive trim with a ITS type steering. It is called ZF surface drive. I have never heard of it but I went on their website and the system looks great. The webiste is www.zfmarine.com
Old 12-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steet
I was talking to the Manager at Ilmor today and he told me of another surface drive manufacturer that has a really nice surface drive setup that uses a single cylinder drive trim with a ITS type steering. It is called ZF surface drive. I have never heard of it but I went on their website and the system looks great. The webiste is www.zfmarine.com
The ZF "Trimax" is the drive that was run on some of the Buzzi boats that were being raced over here a few years back.

Last edited by TRICK; 12-09-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Rik, do you have any triple set ups, I know it's rare, especially on a V. What is involved in the steering set up, and is it any more work overall for Nortech vs the bravo set up. Nortech has done quite a few trip 525 set ups w/2" shorties and have gotten it down on drive heights and set up, high 80's-low 90's. They finished a trip Ilmor 625 bravo boat which was just under a 100mph, which I thought was a great achievement, and are still tweakng it. I am looking at trip 750's (like my last 4300 but twins and #5 on boxes) and a lighter layup. I do not want a bravo boat, and I know the tranny will scrub some speed vs the bravo, but obviously is bullet proof, my question is with the same power say the 625's how will the drives perform in getting up on plane and top end vs the bravo set up. My goal is 107-110 with out blowers and a reliable set up on drives, getting up on plane quicker as well as better midrange than my last set up. Thanks Jeff
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYWITHME
I highly recommend the ASD6 for your installation. You will definitely be satisfied with them over Bravos. I recently spoke to Rik Wimp at Arneson on one for my 27' Magnum that I'm re-powering with a single MV10-625 Ilmor. He is definitely the man to talk to. He quoted me a price of $16,500 and sent me installation drawings within hours of our conversation. He is Arnesons expert, and a great guy to deal with.

I won't be working on my project for a few months, and would appreciate it if you kept me posted on your installation. Tony
Sounds like your going to have one sweet, and unique, Magnum! Keep us posted..........

I'm sure twin engine magnums don't have any problems with sufficient bow lift, but I would think it might become an issue with a single. Did Arneson address this issue with your application?? There is a 18' Donzi with an Arn on here that had to add trim planes/fins to the sides of his skeg to create bow lift, so he could air it out on smooth water, etc. I guess you may not really know until it hits the water. I love that feeling of "carrying the bow", and I've always heard that you can't get that with a surface drive......................Eddy
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Registered

Eddy....I have had many conversations with George Desmond, who has the 18" Donzi with the SD. He has helped me tremendously on my project, and is a great guy to talk to. His boat, by yhe way is for sale, or was, on OSO. It has to be the fastest Dozi of it's size...120 MPH...and he's selling it at a bargain price too.

Except for the hull & deck, I'm completely gutting everything and repositioning a lot of things to maintain the C of G. You will not see any changes to the overall apperance, except for new upolstery, buckets, interior and so on. And, I will have fins like George's to "carry the bow".

If you go to Arneson's web site, there is a great story and pictures of Georges Donzi. It would appear, that the fins act as a hydroplane, and it worked great for him. I won't know for sure, like you said, how it will perform until it's in the water. I will probably have to make other changes too, but don't know what till sea trials. Tony

Last edited by FLYWITHME; 12-10-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jcap
I am going to make this a winter project , converting 30y2k superboat (single engine 30 ft narrow beam P4 race boat) from bravo to arneson . I will post my progress. So far Rik from arneson has been great help ( even though I bought used equipment from someone else!)
I have a fresh bravo xr (no hours on an MRD rebuild including gimble rebuild)and complete transom set up for sale! anybody interested? send a pm
Jim Capie JESSIE JAMES P4-30
Did you ever do your conversion,I'm interested in how a single v reacts/handles with the arneson. 950 hp in my single baja 272 eats best bravo parts out there for lunch every 50-75 hours,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails bravo to arneson surface conv.-boat-90-mph-026.jpg   bravo to arneson surface conv.-upnorth-022.jpg  
Old 12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

I was considering arneson(sp) on a v bottom but the bow lift issue worried me. They say the rocker plates help.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
I was considering arneson(sp) on a v bottom but the bow lift issue worried me. They say the rocker plates help.
I too was considering the Arneson when I built my Y2K but knowing how the Superboat likes bow lift I wasnt ready to try it. Its a different matter if you have an air entrapment hull or the benefit of twins. Definately have to fill in the notch on the Superboat
Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the hull has a notched transom and one is wanting to use a single Arneson, then the notch is an issue for the correct mounting of the Arneson. A twin side by side is not an issue.

However, if the hull runs well with a high X dimension Bravo it will work fine with an Arneson as well as once you surface a Bravo you are not getting any positive trim either.

Superboats require a ton of positive trim. I would suggest an insert in the hull for a surface drive to add some Rocker to the bottom, else it will run flat from what I've been told.

There are ways to address this, propellers being the easiest way.

Jazz, triple are no problems. It would be the same as I have on the 50' Hustlers or the 48' Fountain Express cruisers. Once again the center engine might need the notch addressed but this is not a huge thing.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

artic are you running stock bravos or beefed up.

Quick Reply: bravo to arneson surface conv.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.