blowing drive oil

Notices

blowing drive oil

Old 10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing drive oil

After about a hour of running the drive oil reservoir empties out thru the vent on the reservoir cap into the bilge. I'm running XR's with Billet Marine top caps and showers. If I keep about a 2" of oil in the starboard reservoir it doesn't leak out, the port one empties. Using Merc High Per. synthetic drive oil.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: blowing drive oil

Check the drive, you may have water in the oil from a bad seal or leaky top or front cap. I've seen this happen a lot when there is a leak.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

If you're losing oil thru your resorvoir it is likely for one of two reasons:

#1. Like Panther said you may be leaking water into the drive, thus overpressuring the system
#2. And I just experienced this one, the pinion bearing came apart and the vertical shaft was rotating against the housing, not in the bearing, thus creating excessive heat buildup. This expanded the drive fluid and almost exploded the drive reservoir.

An easy check, if your boat is out of the water, is to drain a little drive fluid from ther suspect drive. If there is water, it will be the first out the drain. If you've got heat issues, the oil will have a pungent smell (Death oil). The magnet on the lower and upper oil drain plugs would also help to indicate if you have a drive failure in process.

You know saying that, just about every XR is a drive failure in process
Old 10-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SteveDavid,
could you expand on that second idea. Which pinion bearing are we talking about here? I have not seen that yet, would be nice to have the info..
Thanks
Dick
Old 10-07-2004, 10:03 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIZE MATTERS
After about a hour of running the drive oil reservoir empties out thru the vent on the reservoir cap into the bilge. I'm running XR's with Billet Marine top caps and showers. If I keep about a 2" of oil in the starboard reservoir it doesn't leak out, the port one empties. Using Merc High Per. synthetic drive oil.
I remember this thread about the resevoir cap. BTW. I have switched my drive oil to Redline Heavy shockproof oil, seems like there is less variation in oil tank from cold to hot which must mean the drive oil is staying cooler than it was with the merc+ oil

Mark
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=drive+oil
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

"must mean the drive oil is staying cooler than it was with the merc+ oil "...no it 'could' be...

you may have an internal mechanical issue...OR the original drive oil level was set too low....resulting in too much air in the drive,,,,air expands more with less heat than oil....and 2 fold the low oil level will also give you inadequate lubrication thus expanding that air even quicker....O, if this happened, you may have caused internal damage??? take the top and rear cap off REGUARDLESS of what you find outside the drive.

but hey. whata i know

Last edited by audacity; 10-07-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=audacity]"must mean the drive oil is staying cooler than it was with the merc+ oil "...no it 'could' be...

I know it wasn't a very scientific test. but thru 5 changes with merc oil, 33 mile run oil started at low mark on bottle and ended run at high mark. Made this same run 3 times with the redline starts at low mark and is 1/4" short of high mark. Better lube should mean less friction?

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Boat's coming out tonight, pull drive apart and check it out.
Is Merc drive oil really that good? What's everyone using?
Jamie
Old 10-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

that level in that bottle could have more to do with cst numbers than anything else...

if ya want to talk tmps? then removed the oil level variable (it must be controlled) install a TC and remove other variables and run set parameters...

other than that you can NOT correlate 'friction' with oil level(s).
Old 10-07-2004, 01:43 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by audacity
that level in that bottle could have more to do with cst numbers than anything else...

if ya want to talk tmps? then removed the oil level variable (it must be controlled) install a TC and remove other variables and run set parameters...

other than that you can NOT correlate 'friction' with oil level(s).
Joe,
TC= thermo couple? cst=?

As i said, not scientific, just observation.
Also noticed magnet was clean at first redline oil change. Based on that and the way that the redline sticks to the side of the bottle, I am happy with the switch despite twice the cost.

My thinking was more friction=more heat=bigger oil level change. But this would be far from the first time that I was wrong.

Mark

Quick Reply: blowing drive oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.