Urgent!  Engine stand ?? >

Urgent! Engine stand ??

Notices

Urgent! Engine stand ??

Old 10-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Urgent! Engine stand ??

Strip poker,Do i see a 69 chevelle for those 29 by 10's on the garage floor.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. ****can that stand, and spend some money for a good OTC brand stand. I got mine, and dropped a full dress HP500 with exhaust on it, and it didn't even budge. Plus, it has a cool geared crank to rotate the motor. You won't regret the money spent. Plus it rolls around the garage with no effort.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

strip poker, You mentioned that you wnted to add bearings on the head to make it easier to rotate the engine. DONT DO IT!!! I thought that was a great idea myself a few years back and fabricated a stand with a roller bearing head. as soon as you loosen the lockdown the motor just spins to the heavier side and when you have pulled on head but not yet drained the oil this makes a large mess. I now have one with a gear crank like the OTC that is the way to go.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Registered

Be careful with the name brand American made stands,hoists,jacks,ect.such as OTC Blackhawck Lincoln as many of these manufactures are selling imports to compete.Most people won't buy a 1000 buck floor jack that is designed to be used daily and rebuilt when wore out when they can buy 10 cheapies for the same price.Once I have the engine assembled to short block point and don't need to flip her upside down anymore I instal the engine mounts and wedge some 2 x 4's that are cut to the right length under them for added security when she's sitting unatended.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER]I had one of those made in china cherry pickers. It was rated at 1000, 2000, and 3000 lbs depending on how far you pulled the boom out. It would want to tip forward at the 3000lb setting when pulling my 400 pontiac motor out of my car. Had to have my buddy stand on the back of the hoist for ballast while I jacked motor out. They are crap. Doesnt the government check the safety on these things? I should have let the engine fall on my buddy and we could have sued the manufacturer. I always have my camera available. [/QUOTE

The hoist from Harbor Freight I was referring to is rated for 4000# and weighs 225#. It's a well built unit. We pulled/installed several engine/transaxle/transfer case assemblies with it and were impressed with how well you could regulate the unit with the big knob on the release valve. We did NOT use it with the boom fully extended. I'm sure there's some real junk out there from China and the USA. Just one persons opinion that this isn't one of them
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Strip poker,Do i see a 69 chevelle for those 29 by 10's on the garage floor.

Its a 70,Firestone 28 1/2 X10 1/2 . Its my little street car

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Its a 70,Firestone 28 1/2 X10 1/2 . Its my little street car
how fast?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by HARRISONMIRAGE
Be careful with the name brand American made stands,hoists,jacks,ect.such as OTC Blackhawck Lincoln as many of these manufactures are selling imports to compete.Most people won't buy a 1000 buck floor jack that is designed to be used daily and rebuilt when wore out when they can buy 10 cheapies for the same price.Once I have the engine assembled to short block point and don't need to flip her upside down anymore I instal the engine mounts and wedge some 2 x 4's that are cut to the right length under them for added security when she's sitting unatended.
I know what you mean about the brand names,when i first started doing rXr's in my transmision business i always bought 69$ floor jacks at sam's club. They would last 6 months to a year then we'd drag them out to the curb. A couple years ago i decided it was time to start buying hd american jacks,jackstands,oil drain tks etc. I bought a Lincoln floor jack,over 300$,i have seen that jack in old timers shops 20 years old and still working.Mine looks like it was made in china and is wore out already!!!!Its hard to find quality stuff that will last and is made in the US,Smitty
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

I bought a good "china" 4 wheel 1250# stand on EBAY for $99 incl shipping(the guy sells many). I have a couple of old 750#"china" stands that have had dressed BBCs that didn't sag like that photo(although they were strained),sumpin ain't bolted on right.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
how fast?
On the old motor ran 12.o8..10.93 on a 200 shot at 4040lbs. The new motor dynoed 39 more hp, should pick up some.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Urgent! Engine stand ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.