Cost of retro to Roller cams? >

Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Notices

Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Originally Posted by HARRISONMIRAGE
What is the max rpm you guys run your rollers at.I try an keep mine under 5500.

On my first blower motor I built I put all Crower valve train in it . It was a hyd roller about 625-642 lift with the crower hyd tappets. When we dynoed it we pulled it up to 6850rpm ,I guess it basically floated the valves there . That's where it peeked also.If it had a solid it prob would have made a little more power . But you would not turn the motor in the boat this high anyway.

The 2nd time around I stepped it up a good bit , A larger Jim Oddy Isky design Hdy roller again with the same Crower Hyd roller tappets and Iskys valve springs[Higher rate spring]. This cam peeked at 7250 this time before the tappet or spring gave up.Again in the boat I only turned it up to 61-6200 rpm.

When I go thru the motor again I will put the solid roller tappets in it . With the good valve train the valve adjustment should last a summer . I run the solid roller cam and tappets in my Chevelle street car and the Camaro and have very good luck with the valve lash not moving around .good parts

The last Chevelle motor I got about 13k miles out of there light weight tappets.Had about .100 slack in the roller.but it did not come apart.Sent them back to Crower and Dave & Reed Oliver said they never seen that many miles on a set.They sent a new set free

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Viper,
RM Builder, Bob, sells the Morel lifter.

Chris

Old 10-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Rob
VIP Member

I saw comp cams is handeling them also.What does this tell ya about there on comp cam tappets when they sell another[better] name brand???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So lets get back to the original ????whats it going to cost me?cams,lifters,pushrods, I can use my rockers and studs right?and If I need to have the bores trued up whats that cost? getting pricey!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Around a $1000 for cam/lifters/pushrods. I would use Smith Brothers for the rods. Yes you can use rockers and studs. Lifter bore trueing is not neccessary but it does make HP. If you do that,the engines have to come down all the way. Usually around $400 per engine plus the bushings. HP gain, usually in a BBC around 20HP.

Chris

Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

$1000 for 20 hp.....$50 per hp....I can go to 496's for about 2k and get about 40hp its a wash...cams,cubic inch....both? 3K per motor and get 60hp that translates into about 2mph if your lucky. This sport is killing my wallet.... I'm getting a kayak!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

Don't you have gen5 496's now?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Dyno,
The 20HP referred to the lifter bore machining only. Cam and lifter HP increase is base on how far off the cam in the engine is. I have seen as much as 100HP and as little as 7HP... .although the 7HP was on a Limited Late Model.

Chris

Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Dyno:
If your going thru your motors a good hydraulic roller cam and roller lifters can add some good power with careful selection, but most of the power comes from the cam not the roller lifter. The real plus with the roller setup is durability, decreased cam and lifter wear and valve train control with less spring pressures and less heat for the oil. But do keep in mind that a cam/valve train package consists of good cam, good lifters, good pushrods, good springs, retainers and locks along with good roller rockers. Just remember that changing just a few of these items can do more harm than not changing anything. Keep thinking system! system! system!
Raylar
Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Thnaks all...Ian I'm still a 454.....today

Quick Reply: Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.