Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Notices

Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Old 10-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Whats it going to run for me to switch to roller cams????Flatlander has kits for about $1000...is it worth it? Anyone know of any used ones around???What HP gains are average?????20-40 or less?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Dyno hows it going . There are a bunch of companies out there that sell conversions that price sounds about right don't forget your going to need pushrods and springs to go with that. If you go with the set up one critical thing to look at is the amount of thread your screw in studs and your rocker adjustment nut have to engage generally the gm stud will have about 3/8 thread engagement if thats the case your going to need a longer screw in stud to keep from breaking the tip of the stud off.If you have any questions feel free to call Laz Mesa 1-305-884-5368
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Dyno,
I would only run the Morel retro fit roller. By far it is the best piece out there. Go with a good 3/8" pushrod, 1 piece. Don't use the welded ball end pushrods.

Chris

Old 10-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MESA BALANCING
Dyno hows it going . There are a bunch of companies out there that sell conversions that price sounds about right don't forget your going to need pushrods and springs to go with that. If you go with the set up one critical thing to look at is the amount of thread your screw in studs and your rocker adjustment nut have to engage generally the gm stud will have about 3/8 thread engagement if thats the case your going to need a longer screw in stud to keep from breaking the tip of the stud off.If you have any questions feel free to call Laz Mesa 1-305-884-5368
I have 454mags with roller cams/lifters ....would it be a good move to add the roller lifters ? I have been told it does make a difference ....
Old 10-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

Roller rockers? They add 5 or 10 hp, lower oil temps slightly. They are slightly more rigid so your valvetrain follows the cam better. Their real advantage is reliability. If you're running big cams hard like a lot of us do, they have a lower rate of failure.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno,
Be more specific. What are you asking? Are you talking about a Mark IV block designed for a flat tappet cam and converting to a roller cam and lifters, along with the change in the upper valve train to accomadate the cam and lifters? Isn't there some machine work required for the roller lifters in the Mark IV block? I'd like to know the straight and skinny on this conversion also.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:47 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Gen 4's and 5's don't require machining, but do require a link bar lifter. Gen 6's cam factory with with spider set up and lifter bores were raised .266". . I think that is correct, then machined so as to accept the OEM roller lifters that have been used in the SBC's for some years. The OEM lifters will work in the old blocks but modifications to the block make it cost prohibative compared to just buying aftermarket lifters. After markets will fit in all blocks.

Note OEM lifters are limited to around .625" valve lift. This is due to the way the body is machined.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Chris

Old 10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyno,
Here are the first photos of the Morel lifter that Chris suggested. These are exceptional pieces. They originally developed these in conjunction with McLaren Engines for the Buick Indy pushrod engines. They exceed all OEM requirements in independent testing, including marine. The non-riveted link bar is very stout.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Cost of retro to Roller cams?-morel4.jpg   Cost of retro to Roller cams?-moreltop.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should know this, but is this lifter made in hydraulic and solid versions?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:09 AM
Registered

Dyno,

It should be no surprise to you that I have two sets of Crane link-bar roller lifters, roller rockers, and ARP studs for Mark IV motors.

One set is from a motor that dropped an exhaust valve @ 2 hours. They are probably still good, but would need close inspection. Other set of lifters, rockers and studs are good. Also have Comp 929 valve springs.

Give me a call if you are interested in any of these items ... you know I will give you a real good deal!

Chris

Quick Reply: Cost of retro to Roller cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.