Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

I have been wondering the same things.

My questions are:
prop changes, I have 23 mirage plus with Houston prop mods
71.3 is the best speed ever at 5000 rpm. What ballpark prop will I need?

Twin 350's MPI motors. 1.5 ratio bravos, stainless marine headers.

instructions say no computer reprogram required, any comments?
For 5psi the kit comes with the required fuel components, are they sufficient? I am assuming it is just a regulator.

I am also planning on boost gauges and fuel pressure gauges for both motors, is this all I need to keep an eye on?

drivemhard, contact me and I will give you a name and number of a guy that gives the best price, I have been pricing for a while.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get Boost/vac guages fuel press is good. Are you doing the install? It would to check the EGT before the install and after even just on 1 cylinder. you should go 80 plus easily on 5 psi. If you dont raise the rev limiter then prob. 27s. Like anything thats close to mech limit I wouldnt hold it wide open and just drive even though you and the hull may be able to. Use the power to race otherwise just take advantage of the higher cruise speed (3-4K) I love mine, Greg
Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered

Is there an easy to check the EGT? What do you mean by fuel pressure is good? Should I go ahead and buy the fuel system upgrade listed by ATi for 7 PSI even though I don't plan on running 7psi? Any idea what the upgrade consists of? It is not that exspensive. I have oil temp gauges, will they be good indications on how hard I can run it? I don't want to raise the rev limiter, I figure it is safer the way it is. I want dependable power, we are weekend family boaters. I figured 27's I will have to see if I can borrow a set from someone to test with.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tssteph; 10-18-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

You can drill some exhaust manifolds at the head flange and install a 1/8 inch thread pyro. I would do the cylinder that typically runs hot. (I dont know which that is on a small block) 7 psi of fuel pressure is an conservative figure 5psi would probably actually work. 7psi will make the motor a little richer but safer. When I said good, I meant its good to have that fuel pressure guage to keep an eye on. Your oil temp guage is a good indicator of how hot it is getting inside. Running any motor at wide open throttle at 5000 rpm isnt all that good for longevity.If you cant win the race after about 30 seconds why stay at full throttle? Hopefully the boat will be close to the ragged edge and real light to the touch (to get that adrenaline rush). You'll like it! Keep us posted in the outcome we want to hear it. Greg

Last edited by HPJunkie; 10-18-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having an extra set of engines built. The builder has 4-6 engines on the floor finished ready to go with pro-chargers. I am hoping he will have those in a boat by the time my lowers are done. Still time to make that decision.

With his set up you shed about 300 lbs of hardware with prochargers per doggy.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HPJunkie
You can drill some exhaust manifolds at the head flange and install a 1/8 inch thread pyro. I would do the cylinder that typically runs hot. (I dont know which that is on a small block) 7 psi of fuel pressure is an conservative figure 5psi would probably actually work. 7psi will make the motor a little richer but safer. When I said good, I meant its good to have that fuel pressure guage to keep an eye on. Your oil temp guage is a good indicator of how hot it is getting inside. Running any motor at wide open throttle at 5000 rpm isnt all that good for longevity.If you cant win the race after about 30 seconds why stay at full throttle? Hopefully the boat will be close to the ragged edge and real light to the touch (to get that adrenaline rush). You'll like it! Keep us posted in the outcome we want to hear it. Greg

the 7 and 5 was blower pressure, not fuel pressure. I would assume my MPI motors have more fuel pressure then that.

I agree on running it wide open for long periods of time.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

They do have higher pressure and I was reffering to fuel pressure increase to compensate for the boost in the manifold that the fuel pump must overcome. Sorry. If you can afford it go for the better fuel system. Just in case, you never know when you to want to go little faster. How much do they charge for thatfuel sys. and what do you get?? Just wondering. I have a carb now and want to go efi. Greg
Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Registered

$129 as an upgrade. Look on Ebay, there are two complete injection setups for a BB with a procharger for around a $1000.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prochargers with Nickerson reworked carb is the only way to go!!. Nickerson did a lot of developement work with Procharger. I always had excessive richness on mine until Nickerson reworked it. I only had to raise the idle about 100 rpm on carb return. Metering was perfect. I loved it!!

My 93 Formula 252 went from 52mph to 76 mph ( a little more was done than the 'charger). No problems at all. Great setup. Also what TurboJack said. Trust oso experiencenot Procharger techs...
Old 10-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

HPJunkie,
I think my brother Jake lives down the street from you!

Quick Reply: Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.