Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER >

Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

Notices

Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

Old 10-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

TheDykstras, yes he does. Hes told me about your boat.Do you need one of those prochargers too? I think so...Ha ha. Anyway hows your boat running? Nice to talk to you maybe well meet up and do the liver punishment thing sometime? Greg
Old 10-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

If the engine is carbureted then consider using this setup. We sell the box separately for Procharger upgrade but sell the complete kit with Vortech blowers. The picture shows a Procharger upgrade from the same angle as HPJunkie.

Hey Greg, how's it going? Still interested in going EFI? Wait till you see my new design!
Attached Thumbnails Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER-lid-.jpg  
Old 10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tomcat, I am good and you? Yes I am and yes I am! Your new design? Bigger ,more effiecent, different look, ....More power? Im thinking about Cobra Martys EFI for sale. You say 1000 cfm will support how much HP at say 14 psi boost or wont that work? Greg
Old 10-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered

Marty's intake will work with the standard supercooler. 1000 CFM is good for about 625 HP. Multiply by the density ratio to get the supercharged HP that is possible with a throttle body rated at atmospheric pressure. 14 psi with a good intercooler should give you about 1.8 X denser air; 625 X 1.8 = 1125 HP. A Procharger M-4 of Vortech V-4 with X or XX trim will deliver the required flow.

Getting this much boost becomes an issue with upper pulley size and belt slip. Don't forget that the blower has to develop an extra 2-3 psi to overcome resistance in the intercooler pathway, more if you're not using a supercooler. This starts to consume a lot of power and puts strain on the whole blower drive.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 lbs with a supercooler @ 5900 rpms should be no problem with the procharger M4 in a 540. 8.5" lower pulley & 5.5" upper I think will give you aprox. 13, go to 5.25" pulley & boost will be???
Old 10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Registered

Hey Jack:

You're right, with a bigger crank pulley you can get the right pulley ratio with a reasonably big upper pulley so you have enough belt wrap not to slip. You can always go to a wider belt too. But the HP curve for a centrifugal device is fairly steep. that's why you see chain driven Prochargers on the drag cars. Pulley changes are cheap, but I prefer to take the other road, which is reduce overall system resistance, This can be done with better heads, better intercooler plumbing, bigger throttle body, you know the drilll...

P.S. I've got a box here with your name on it (magic marker on the special Dominator bottom plate!) If you're still interested let me know.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

You can drill some exhaust manifolds at the head flange and install a 1/8 inch thread pyro. I would do the cylinder that typically runs hot. (I dont know which that is on a small block)

7 and 8
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

How much are these systems usually? I was just on the Procharger website and there is no pricing that I could find. I have a 502 mpi in a 28' stryker. I am getting low 60's for top end now and would like to at least get into the 70's while still maintaining reliability. will my Bravo 1 hold up to this type of increase?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

a little less then 5 k LIST, there are some good deals on them right now.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered

About what I thought....from what I'm reading it looks like installation is key. I'll have to check on the installers around my area so I get it done right. It seems like the best overall package.

Quick Reply: Pro and cons of a PROCHARGER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.