OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Notices

OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Old 10-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Real ski boats have too much hull in the water to go fast.
That sums it up perfectly. I had a Ski Nautique for 13 years. Mine ran 52 MPH and I outran EVERY Nautique, Mastercraft, Ski Supreme, and American Skier I ever raced. I never had an inboard ski boat outrun me including a Barefoot Nautique with a 454.

A Nautique has a hull speed of between 49-53 MPH. If you stack 3000 HP in one it will max out in that range and then start beating you to death.

All of my experience with these boats were the 1980-1996 year models. They may have made some changes on the newer ones....now that I'm out of shape...skiing doesn't garner the attention it once did
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom has a 92 or 93 Mastercraft "Stars and Stripes" anniversary boat. It came with the Corvette motor. LT1? Awesome boat but barely runs 50mph. Acceleration is incredible. Malibu also has a Corvette boat. The back actually looks like the rear of a vette.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

My Buddy has a Malibu with the Corvette in it. Pulls like a tractor,any more than about 1/4 throttle and I can't hang on from a deep water start. It's still new so were not sure of the top end. I think mid to high 50's. But top end wasn't the purpose of the boat. It was at the New York boat show this past year so some of you might have seen it. It sure is pretty. Doug
Attached Thumbnails OMG!!  a ski boat passed me at 70mph-100_0166-small-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

They may be fast on flat water but get any bit of chop in the mix and they will be misserable! A buddy took his mastercraft to LOTO one year since his cig was inop. He was fine till we got out of the protected coves into the more open water with traffic. One of his passengers to this day still tells me he is peeing blood (joking ofcourse) from that beating they all took that weekend in the skiboat! By the last day i had almost all his passengers piled into my Scarab cause they couldnt take it anymore! LOL

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formulaz583
V drives or straight inboards don't run that fast, even with Big Blocks in them.
Maybe not in the competition dumbass wake making kind, but my ski boat will run somewhere around 90. Then again, it's a blown 21' v-drive Schiada River Cruiser. A ski race boat...

Last edited by jordy; 10-22-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jordy
Maybe not in the competition dumbass wake making kind, but my ski boat will run somewhere around 90. Then again, it's a blown 21' v-drive Schiada River Cruiser. A ski race boat...
I don't even want to think about falling at 90. Those guys are nuts!
Old 10-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formulaz583
A Schiada is in a class all by itself. Not the "traditional" inboard ski boat like was being talked about. Its a totally different beast
Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd jerk a few chains. I don't think I'd want to be in a competition boat at anywhere over about 50... They ride rather wet and I've seen quite a few of them that really want to bow steer. No thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Registered

He had a bunch of mods done to it but I was on it with 4 people and we hit 66 GPS....MY handheld! He was turning a monster prop and had a whacked out gear ratio... It was insane... He is a rich kid who's father wouldnt buy him a go-fast to go with his ski boat so he hopped up his Tige BIG TIME. I will get in touch with him and find out the specs.... It was about 5 years ago...I know he had to put tabs on it as well.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:31 AM
David Haag

OK guys , found out a little bit about the boat that beat me. It is a sterndrive rear engine w/blower. I am not sure about displacment. My friend/neighbor says he had the boat custom built by marine technologies in TX. It is claimed to be a ski boat but has all the characteristics as a powerboat.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

If a ski boat passed me at 70, and was NOT pulling a grinning skier flipping me off, I wouldn't count it.

Quick Reply: OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.