no thermostats >

no thermostats

Notices

no thermostats

Old 10-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no thermostats

Just winterized my HP500's and found that there are no thermostats in the housings. That would explain why temp guages barely move in the heat of summer.
Would low engine temps due to no thermostat cause poor combustion or idle problems?
Should I install 140 thermostats? (seems to be where most on this board say the HPs run the best).

Thanks in advance.

Clayton
Old 10-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: no thermostats

condensation would be a problem with motors not comming up to running Temp ...I would think 140's would be fine but would check with what spec calls for the HP500's ....
Old 10-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When you winterized did you pull off the Tee fitting? I did that on mine and the fitting itself had some sort of spring loaded device - I thought that this might be the thermostat??
Old 10-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
When you winterized did you pull off the Tee fitting? I did that on mine and the fitting itself had some sort of spring loaded device - I thought that this might be the thermostat??
Not a t-stat.
This is a check valve (springs with plastic balls) to keep water from flowing from the exhaust back into the stat housing once the stat does open. When the stat is still closed (cold), it allows the excess water to flow from the stat housing to the exhaust.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Not a t-stat.
This is a check valve (springs with plastic balls) to keep water from flowing from the exhaust back into the stat housing once the stat does open. When the stat is still closed (cold), it allows the excess water to flow from the stat housing to the exhaust.
US1,
My manual says to just pull off this Tee and pour the antifreeze into the opening. I'm worried now that the antifreeze will not get past the tstat. Do I need to worry??
Old 10-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

ctadams,

I agree with "offthefront". You should install some thermostats to let more heat build into the engine to help burn off any condensation---especially during idling periods. I'm not sure where you do most of your boating, but I do most of my boating in the Great Lakes area where the water temps are cooler, therefore I use a 160* water thermostat in my engines. I also have a 212* oil thermostat which will bypass the engine oil cooler until it hits 212* and starts allowing the oil to be cooled.

Even with this current set-up of mine the engine oil still won't reach 212* during idle speeds which is about where the temp needs to be to burn off any condensation. I'm not sure if there is a 180* thermostat available that I might try---it would be interesting to see. On the other hand perhaps a 180* thermostat could be too hot once the boat is on plane for any length of time. It sounds like a trial and error kind of thing. Anyway, keeping that oil warm as you can at idle speeds is the key to burning off the condensation and it may not always be the easiest thing to accomplish.

If you're running stock Merc HP500's then Merc probably has their own thermostat temp requirements for that specific engine, therefore I am not sure if you can deviate much from whatever that may be.