Hook on a 27 Fountain? >

Hook on a 27 Fountain?

Notices

Hook on a 27 Fountain?

Old 10-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hook on a 27 Fountain?

Anyone removed a hook (that had one) and seen a difference on a nonstep 27 Fever. And how much of a hook did you have? I seem to have a very slight one, almost immeasurable. But I get a little chine walk on smooth water above 75 mph.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Hook on a 27 Fountain?

HOOK doesn't cause chine walk it stops it.
If you remove the hook it will probably chine walk worse then it does now.
Personally I would remove the hook and install a shorter drive.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine only chine walked on smooth water. Always started right at 73 mph for some reason, then drive right thru it until it stopped. Never was a problem with a little chop.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Registered

Mine has no hook in the hull and has no chine walk @ any speed,as for a short drive mine lost 6 mph w/ a 2" short imco (which is for sale)put it on yours slow down so it wont walk.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What prop are you running? I had a 4 blade hydromotive cause violent chine walk on a previous boat that was not present at all with a 3 blade mirage. Hydromotive had too much transom lift.

Loose steering? hydraulic ?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ALFSTER - Your boat must have had a high X to start with.
JIm V has a 27 and he went to the 2 inch shorter drive and gained speed and handling.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

I don't know his number but contact Tom Mcnabb at Nabbers Shop in Morris Illinois, he specializes in bottom "blueprinting" and has helped a few of my buddies boats, Tom was the first guy i worked for when i started in the boat business at 18yrs old. I don't know if he has done that particular boat but i do know he has done several of the larger fountains and he did my buddies old Python 24 "Hammer Time" I don't know if it mattered on that one though cause it only ran on prop and cav plate at well over 90 MPH on radar at the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout. Give him a call if you can't get his number from information i let me know and i will find it for you it's on a t shirt in my closet at home. Great guy try him out, Jason
Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the shortie with a standoff box and a hering 5 blade prop. The propshaft was about one inch above the bottom of the boat at the highest point. I was able to lower it(my standoff box is slotted). Looked cool(when the paint was new) but no speed increase. The best combination I found is the box and a hydromotive nose cone and bravo offshore prop about one inch below the bottom. The boat handles great.
Attached Thumbnails Hook on a 27 Fountain?-bravoheightweb.jpg  
Old 10-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was no hook in mine to speak of. It chine walked at 80 before I installed the box and steering.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 23 Nova would start walking at around 65 gps. And would sometimes get pretty scary around 70. That was with a 25 Mirage Plus. I spoke with Matt at Throttle Up and explained the problem. Plus told him I wanted more speed {of course!!}. Got the prop back from TU labbed and walking is completely gone. Boat is now rock solid at speed.

Different boat than yours and and not as fast {73 gps is my max speed}. But you might want to try a couple of different props to see if it helps. Might be a cheap simple fix. Good luck !!

Quick Reply: Hook on a 27 Fountain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.