Notices

Iron Heads

Old 10-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Heads

Hi, Has Anyone Used Dart Iron Eagles On 540 Motors Naturally Aspirated. Are They Better Than The Merlin Vr And Protopline. Thanks For Any Reply
Old 10-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Iron Heads

The Dart iron eagle heads are superior to the Merlins. The Toplines are a knock off of the Darts so they should be OK but I never flowed them. Ported, the Iron Dart heads will flow the same as the ported aluminum heads.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:47 PM
mjb
Registered

Jim- I was hoping you could address a few issues with using the Iron eagles on a 502MPI.
- what is the best way to handle the leaky valve cover problem?
- I understand that the intake valves are longer and the ex.rocker studs are longer. Do I need taller valve covers?
- because the intake valves are longer, will the installed spring height be different than the stock spring height and if so, do I need different springs?
thanks-
Old 10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mjb
Jim- I was hoping you could address a few issues with using the Iron eagles on a 502MPI.
- what is the best way to handle the leaky valve cover problem?
- I understand that the intake valves are longer and the ex.rocker studs are longer. Do I need taller valve covers?
- because the intake valves are longer, will the installed spring height be different than the stock spring height and if so, do I need different springs?
thanks-

I would start with the 308's. Extra flow can be achieved with port work if needed. I use a cork or rubberized cork with no leaks. The thicker ones will gain some extra clearance if needed.

They should work using the stock valve covers. You will have to grind the tabs down inside the covers and some of the rail if your using the 500 hp style covers. In some cases you may have to shorten the K-nuts for clearance. I do this on a lathe, around 1/4". With a hydraulic roller, I use a 930 comp spring installed at 1.900. The spring heights shouldn't change unless your using the stock valves, then the installed height will be shorter. Somtimes you can use a +.050 keeper to help, but check your rocker arm to retainer clearance. With the longer valves, you should be OK.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:03 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Aluminum valve covers spacers in 1.125" height are available if needed.

Chris

Old 10-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Registered

Thanks Jim V . Anyone Have Any Other Comments.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
mjb
Registered

Thanks Jim- Can you please clarify....When you say "grind the tabs down", are you refering to the oil dripper tabs on the top of the valve cover or the spacer tabs on the rail of the cover? I have 502MPI covers, not 500HP(I didn't know there was a difference other than the blue paint??). Will the flat cork gaskets work with the o ring style rail? Do I remove the o ring first? I will be using crane gold rockers...when you say grind the "k-nuts" are you refering to the poly locks? Will the comp 929 springs hold up as well as the Isky 9000 endurance springs?
Thanks again for the help-
Old 10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Iron Heads

Originally Posted by mjb
Thanks Jim- Can you please clarify....When you say "grind the tabs down", are you refering to the oil dripper tabs on the top of the valve cover or the spacer tabs on the rail of the cover? I have 502MPI covers, not 500HP(I didn't know there was a difference other than the blue paint??). Will the flat cork gaskets work with the o ring style rail? Do I remove the o ring first? I will be using crane gold rockers...when you say grind the "k-nuts" are you refering to the poly locks? Will the comp 929 springs hold up as well as the Isky 9000 endurance springs?
Thanks again for the help-

Sorry , yes, the dripper tabs may have to be removed(check clearance first). If your changing to roller rockers from stamped I'm sure they will need to be removed. The covers are problaby the same 502mpi/500 hp. Yes, remove the o-ring.
Yes, I meant polylocks.
I haven't done any endurance testing with the 929's so I can't answer. I'm sure the iskys will work fine.
The rail will have to be modified at the ends of the cover to clear the head for proper fit. Also the tabs will have to be cut flush. You can use a die grinder for mods. The o-ring groove makes a nice reciever where the gasket will form to. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:14 PM
mjb
Registered

Thanks for your help Jim-
Old 10-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered

Nooooooooooo problem, i'm glad you asked about the tabs I forgot they had to be modified.

Quick Reply: Iron Heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.