Helper Air bags? >

Helper Air bags?

Notices

Helper Air bags?

Old 10-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helper Air bags?

What kind of air bags are you guys using on a leaf spring suspension? I'm looking at Firestone and Air Lift brands? Anything good or bad on either of these, or is there a better brand.? It's a 1/2 ton Suburban with leafs that I want a lil boost in the back.

Thanks.!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

Default Re: Helper Air bags?

I've got Air-Lift on my '98 Chevy C1500, they work greet. Just be sure to not plumb left to right with one hose - keep each side separate.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always used the Firestones, but I hear the Air Lifts are good too. You should be fine either way. As JohnJan said, don't let the air move between the two bags, or you'll "chine walk" down the highway.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I have Firestones and I'm happy with them. The only problem has been a limit to the suspension travel. The problem is with their bracket design. The good news for you is that I don't have them on a suburban.

ps. spend the extra coin to get the compressor. It's well worth it.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

I bought the compressor but never installed it. I've pirated enough fittings and hose from it (damn pnuematic mufflers) that it's a lost cause now. I wish I had installed it but there was no good place inside my truck to mount the gauges and switches and not have it look like crap.

I mounted two shrader valves, one for each air bag, in the rear bumper on each side of the license plate and pump them up when the trucks loaded and release air when running empty. My friends get a kick out of it when I attach the truck to the trailer by lifting the trailer ball up into the trailer with the air hose.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Troutly has had good luck with Firestone, but now has Air-Lift.

I am on my second set of Air-Lift (no compressor), and will never own a truck without them. Make sure to get separate air fill stems for each side. Mine are hidden as my rear license plate upper bolts on my Avalanche. On my Tahoe, they were placed on either side of the license plate, and I have seem them placed inside the gas door before too.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-31-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Yup...had Air-Lift on my Yukon with the compressor system.....worked great and am now looking for a set for my 2500 burban

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:26 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Firestone's on My 99 Chevy Crewcab Dually.I have a slide in camper and for our Grand Canyon/Utah Road trip this spring I built a Back Porch. At that time I added firestone Ride Rite's with the Dual controls and On board Compressor.
I Really like the setup.I also added rancho rs9000 adjustable shocks,what an improvement over the factory shocks even though they only had 27000 miles on them.

Rob

Last edited by rws; 10-30-2004 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Registered

Thanks guys.! Sound like they will work perfect.!
Old 10-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what brand I have on my Tahoe but the bags are not the accordion style. Stay away from the non accordion type. They tend to fold if the air pressure is to low. When they fold they will pinch the bag and cause a leak. I bough my from JC Whitney and they are a real POS. The brackets were not correct and I had to fabricate my own.

What would be wrong with air shocks? Seem like a lot less trouble.

Quick Reply: Helper Air bags?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.