Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dumb question: Merc 496 Mag vs. Chevy 3500HD 496 HO truck motor???? >

Dumb question: Merc 496 Mag vs. Chevy 3500HD 496 HO truck motor????

Notices

Dumb question: Merc 496 Mag vs. Chevy 3500HD 496 HO truck motor????

Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe the Marine engines also have valves made out of a more durable/corrosion resistant material. This supposedly is the reason GM Performance does not recommend their crate engines for marine use.

Michael
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 496

Hi Guys, I saw that you disuss the 496 vortec BBC and have a big problem.

I was serching for an engine for my 68 Impala SS427 clone and bought a 496´shortblock with new piston rings for 500$.
The engine looks like it never ron and the seller told me that it have around 3000 miles on it. He further said it was a dealer take out as the
engine had a termic problem.

I did not now enough about the engine and bought. Now I found out that it is very heavy to get parts for this motor.
I have only the block and the rotating assembly.
I plan to save money to buying the big package from raylar with the
assembled alu heads, the throttle body, cam, rockers ect... but than I still need the oil and water pump, oil pan (if someone changed it for boat-use I would be interested), wiring harness and all that computers and sensors as I did not find a carb-manifold for this engine. Does anybody know which parts are interchangeable which other enginges from which years. Are there any other aftermarked parts like the harness or computers or headers for use in a car than the ware from raylar.
It is impossible to find anything in eBay with the terms GM 8.1/ 496 / Vortec ect...
If someone got anything to sell please tell me.
I have an offer for another 496, and the seller says it is complete,
for further 500$, but actally if I take aftermarked parts I could use the money better I think (If I can get all I wnat of course).

Thanks and best regards

Hannes
Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink 496 cranks

Raffy:

We have not had a lot of personal expierence with supercharged 496's with the stock cast crankshaft, but I would not worry about your motor as their are quite a few 496's around the country running this crankshaft with superchargers with mild boost and about 650-700HP and I have never heard of any loosing a crankshaft. Besides Paul Pfaff has many years of expierence with bigger blower motors than this and I don't think he would chance your motor if he wasn't confident about the crankshaft. These crankshafts are not like old GM cast crankshafts and seem very strong. We just like to use our forged crankshafts when we redo 496's as kind of insurance and room for future increases. As for that faulty spring, as I told you personaly a week or so ago, Raylar will cover the costs of the replacement under our warranty.

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Raylar

Hello Ray, I wrote you a mail some moths ago, since that time you never answer my questions anymore.
Okey I cannot afford a boat but
after all I plan to buy the pistons and the heads from you, not small money for my taste.

So please come in touch by my e-mail address: [email protected]

Thanks Hannes