Mud In Block!? WTF >

Mud In Block!? WTF

Notices

Mud In Block!? WTF

Old 11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mud In Block!? WTF

I am no rookie at winterizing a boat having done it for myself and others close to 200 times. Had Buddy over helping put up the boat garage and he went out boating for the rest of the afternoon. We met him at the ramp around sundown with intentions of winterizing his boat. Pulled the block plug on the starboard side and no water, OK give hand over the pick tool to clear the mud. Tom (aka BudMan who was also present) poked around to no avail. Still no water.

Put plugs back in and ran it backed into the ramp to try to clear it. Remove just the Starboard block plug and still no water coming out. We are thinking the next step is to remove the fitting that the blue drain plug screw into and trying to get a better bite.

Anyone have any unique ideas to clear the mud from the block. We are suspecting that it has probably been in there for some time. The thought of an air compressor came to mind. Any thoughts on how to get the sediment out?

Open to ideas, no good deed goes un-punished..

SBC Alpha in this case, good flow from all othe drain plugs.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mud In Block!? WTF

I would be more apt to plumb in some water into the block drain and regulate the pressure. Try to stir things up, if you know what I mean.
I would not put 90 psig compressed air on my block.
Let's face it, most of us are trying to control our water pressure around 22-25 psig.
You could do more harm than good by over pressurizing the waterside of your engine regardless of whether it's air or water.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Rlw has a good idea,backflush some water at a safe pressure thru the block drain holes to loosen up the sediment,you'll have to make some temporary adapters but it could work out,Smitty
Old 11-07-2004, 07:33 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

combination of mud rust and heat = cement, or it seemed that way for me. I had the same problem last year and almost resorted to a drill. used different sized tiny screw drivers and kept twisting and pushing until it broke thru. good luck!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have decent access to freeze plugs you can pop one or two of them out and flush out the sand and mud from there. While prodding around the drain and freexe plug holes.

It all depends on what type of access you have to the side of the engine.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:49 PM
LarryD

keep trying with bent pick or small screwdriver it is probably rust ( this is a typical situation) don't panic

Old 11-08-2004, 05:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep trying with sharp instruments.
90+ psi in the block could blow a head gasket or some other seal.
Second thought it would probably blow the core (freeze) plugs before anything else happened.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The small amount that was accessible with the pick tool was a scale and crushed shale. Probably a rust, sand, scale cocktail in there. I think our plan will be to adapt a fitting to the drain with a hose. Fill the hose with a column of water and push it with a regulated air supply at 25 psi. If that does not work I guess the casting plugs are coming out.

Whenever I have had mud in a block before it seemed that once you got a small trickle to come out it self cleaned and ran clear right away. This is his first boat and it was used so we don't know how it had been winterized in the past. Perhaps it has been full of rust for some time. It was like hitting a solid object once the plug was out.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is confirming my need for a sea strainer. Soon as a read "shale", that was the clincher.
Sounds like you have the right approach and suggestions.
Good Luck!
Russ
Old 11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
monsta

I've seen this before. If you remove the brass fitting the blue wing stop screw's into , and try using, for arguments's sake the inner cable from a 33c style throttle/shift cable, which is very tiff yet flexible, you can get past that old sludge and probably break it free. Definitely would keep ant air away, for if the passage is that clogged the same sludge has probably deteriorated the rest of the cooling system, like the head gasket's and such. Good luck.