extension box, shortie or both >

extension box, shortie or both

Notices

extension box, shortie or both

Old 11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extension box, shortie or both

I've got a low hour 454 motor making about 500-hp at the crank but my 89 Eliminator Daytona is stuck at 70-mph. I will be building the boat up over the next several years with one $ project/per year. My thought was to upgrade the drive and steering while I run my current engine for the next two years. Once they are beefed I can up the HP.

Here's my question. The drive is currently set with the prop center 5 1/2" below the hull. Obviously this is very deep and significantly limiting my speed. I was planning on getting a 2" shortie after christmas and hydraulic steering next year. That would still leave me 3 1/2" below the hull. Is this going to be make a mayor difference running a Bravo 1 four blade? I was not thinking of an extension box,but, after reading several posts I'm now thinking I may be better off going with an extension box with a three inch lift this year along with the hyd. steering. I'm interested in the IMCO unit with the steering tabs integrated in but would also consider a stilling if there is an advantage with them. Does the IMCO require the engine to be raised? This could be a problem.

How do cats like the extension box? Any thoughts on the depth I'm going to want the drive to end up at the end of this project.? I've heard anything from 3" below to level with the bottom.

Money is not the issue this year but I can only do one of these this year. What order would you go with to get the biggest improvement for next boating season?

I'm not trying to build this boat for top speed only. I still want to be able to load it up, get on plane and cruise around with the family.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: extension box, shortie or both

single engine? What length of boat? To put a standoff box on you need to pull the motor. I would go standoff box, shorty drive & full hyd. Steering all at the same time. I have 26 Daytona & I now have my prop shaft 1/2" above the lowest line of outside sponsons. If you are now 5.5" below this line then raising 2 or 3" Is going to be a big speed increase. I do not think you would have to run anything more then a bravo1 by still being 3" below.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

if you need a 3" raised Imco box, i'll make you a deal.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: extension box, shortie or both

Vegas, do the imco raised box and hyd steering at the same time, the shortie can be added later(bolt on). Raising the engine is a breeze, in this hull you can just bolt a 3in square steel to the existing stringer angle mount and set the adjustable mount right on top. Wait to drill holes for adjustable mount until you mach everything up in the boat because the engine will move back about 3/4in. The rear mount comes with the imco box of course. This setup took a 22 Daytona I previously owned from 92mph to 103mph with 700hp supercharged 454. Feel free to call anytime for more details, cell 513-383-0844.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Stellings box only raises 1" (or lowers 1" or stays the same - different holes for 3 positions), but allows engine to remain in normal position.

Imco is either same or +3 (different box for same). Motor goes up on +3 box. Steering ears bolt on box. Not part of box.

Remember, when motor goes up, so does exhaust. Depending on type of tailpipes this may cause grief.

If your boat doesn't need much positive trim, then raising the drive is your main priority. If it does like positive trim, then a box will help too.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Mc-there are two different versions of the Stellings box out there. The more common version has the drilled holes. There is another version that has slots instead of the holes. This version is infinately adjustable.

If you are considering an extension box, you should be aware that it's not as simple as just bolting it on. The engine will need to come out. You'll have to remount the steering rams (assuming you already have full hydraulic steering), you'll need to extend the steering lines, You'll need to replace the raw water intake hose, the trim lines need to extended....get the idea? If you are looking to do a little each year, then the shortened lower is the way to go. Buy the lower and then sell your existing unit to make up for the expense. Go for the XR shaft right away. You may wish that you had it later.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

slots, holes, Stellings still is +1 to -1 range (in relation to crankshaft centerline).