CMI Problem Help! >

CMI Problem Help!

Notices

CMI Problem Help!

Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CMI Problem Help!

Anti-seize on the stainless nut and T-bolt. Loosen up rubber at exhaust tip and tighten up header to tail-piece first.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

If you have any mechanical ability you can do it. Do what rock says & make sure you tighten up the hose clamps when you are done.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

I had what sounds like the same problem that you are experiencing. On my boat, I had to remove the headers from the engine to get that joint apart - there was not enough room to slide the tailpipe aft to separate the joint. I have a 500EFI with silent choice, though. We found many of the welds "weeping" on the CMI's when my friend and I water pressure tested the header (regulated water line pressure was 60 psi). The welds from CMI were rather poor quality at the start/stop points - the craters at those places were leaking. Additionally, at the aft flange, there were several "cracks" in the welds and face of the flange. Also, the reversion cone inside the header looked like swiss cheese (316L stainless ??? ) . These headers were only 2 years old with 120 hours on them and were used in fresh water and some brackish water and flushed after every use. My friend took the header apart and rewelded many of the welds. He did such a good job you could never tell that any work had been done! The face of the tailpipe had a bunch of divits/pits, too, but you really can't pressure test the silent choice tailpipes, though. We cleaned up that flange face, too, and now I don't have anymore drips from that header. I am not too impressed with their headers, so far ...
Old 11-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Stupid Question here but, can you use the old style tailpipes with the new style cool collar header?