Whats the best rub rail? >

Whats the best rub rail?

Notices

Whats the best rub rail?

Old 11-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best rub rail?

I want to replace the rub rail on my boat (to get rid of the purple one it came with). It currently has Taco semi-rigid rail, which I can get in white or black. They also make "flexible" rub rails.

What is the best for durability and ease of installation? Color will be either black or white, haven't decided for sure which, so suggestions? Best place to buy about 70-80 ft of it (32' boat)?

Thanks - Greg
Old 11-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats the best rub rail?

http://www.rubrails.com/

I used the flexible rub rail with the insert. I got a 75' length .Did the install myself. Definately a 2 person job to make it easier.

How to: Remove old rail and fill all the holes.
New rail is easier to handle when kept in warm temps.
I started in the center of the stern and worked my way around.
I drilled 1 hole at a time, filled with 5200 then screwed in. Also lay a bead of 5200 to the next hole. Screws should be 6" apart.

Tips: Use flat head screws
Do not make them tight. It will cause dimples and look like crap.
Use a heat gun when going around corners.
I used a rubber mallet to bang in the insert, if that is the type you choose

Good luck
Old 11-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

GregP_

I also have the black Taco brand rub rail. What boat will you be putting the rub rail on? I have a 357. I installed the Taco brand myself. It was a two person, warm weather job. It was my first time and It looked ok, but definitely a rookie install. I am looking to replace again. This time with an insert. Can't stress enough that patience is virtue. Like PE said the screw placement can make or break the look of the rub rail. I got a little carried away tightening the screws and it shows. Once you over-tighten its hard to back out the dent. I am curious to here what other products are available other than Taco. Rubrails.com looks like a nice product I just don't remember the dimensions of my rail. Next time around I will take my time and pay more attention. That stuff is to expensive to screw up.
Good Luck
Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

The rail is for the 32 Scorpion. I'm trying to decide between the flexible and the semi-rigid which is on it now. I'll probably run out of warm before I can get it installed this year, but want to get it on the "CHristmas List". I wonder which is easier to keep straight when installing. The instructions on the web for the flexible say to basically fasten one end, stretch it and fasten the other, then fasten in between (sounds like a receipe for a sag in the middle to me).

Any of the pro builders on the board have a preference/recommendation?

The current rail is 1 7/8 tall, so I plan to stay real close to that to make sure if covers/fits.

Thanks - Greg