Trim pump test?

Notices

Trim pump test?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Trim pump test?

The motor is out of my boat. I am trying to test one of the pumps for my k-planes. I hooked the + and - directly to a battery. Can't I jump the terminals on the pump somehow to make sure it is working? I wan't to bypass my switch and just make sure the pump is working.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Re: Trim pump test?

If you are talking about the pump without the solenoids then all you need to do is connect the black wire on the motor to ground and either one of the blue or green wire to make the pump work in eiether direction.
If you have the solenoids hooked up and all mounted on the bracket then hook up your negetaive power cable to anywhere you would have a good ground connection. Then you can take the positive cable and jump it straight to one of the solenoid terminals that has either the blue or the green wire coming from the pump attached to it and it willactivate the pump either up or down....i forget which wire does what function. hope that helps

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Wally,

Yes I want to move the tab up and down to bleed out any air. What can you ground to without a motor? Maybe the trailer? On my tabs the green is up and blue is down.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave,
Red and black directly to your Battery is fine.
The up and down solenoids get power from the same red wire as the pump.
You just need to jump across were the switch wires are.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

Ah i understand what your doing now......i was a little foggy reading your first post. Yes just like Pat said you should be able to just hook up the battery in the boat like normal. The pump should have a common gound somehwere in the boat (most likely a ground bar on the firewall in the engine compartment. The positive feed may or may not either run straight to the battery or go to the Batt switch. Just make sure to cover the starter positve cable with some electrical tape just in case! Dont need any sparks or shorts anywhere!!! When you have the battery hooked up you can use a small piece of wire as a jumper from the positive (RED) wire thats going to the pump and just jump it to one of the blue or green wires to make the pump what you want it to do.... Please make sure you dont have any gas fumes in the bilge of the boat as there will be a small spark from jumping it this way....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue (sky) is up, green (grass) is down. My builder went to Merc training to learn that one. Passed it on to me for free (free is a relative term that has no bearing on reality when it comes to boats).
Old 11-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drive trim pumps are Blue-Sky-UP, Green-Grass-DOWN. Tab pumps are opposite because "blue" puts out higher pressure which is needed for down function on a tab. Tab pump hookups are confusing for another reason, the cast in labels on the pump ports are also wrong. Just remember that Blue-UP is higher output pressure on most pumps and then think which direction needs the higher pressure (up/out on a drive to counteract the pushing force of the prop, down on tabs to counteract the force from the water). Have Fun!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info guys. My pumps are rigged like Falcon explained. Blue is up on the trim but down on the tabs.

One more question... I use 10w-40 oil in my tab pumps. Thats what it says right on the pumps. What do you use in the trim pump? I know you can buy T&T fluid, but can't you use power steering fluid too? It's a lot cheaper. Is there a difference in the pumps? They look almost identical. Why can't you use 10w-40 in the trim pump?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about older models, but newer Bravo's recommend 10w-30 or Quicksilver "power steering and trim fluid". I was told that atf will work in the tabs (and I would think the drive trim too), but they switched to improve pump and cylinder life.