painting outdrives >

painting outdrives

Notices

painting outdrives

Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting outdrives

What kind of paint you guys using to paint drives and tabs and how does it hold up?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: painting outdrives

a few years ago, ron doller told me they use nason synthetic enamel which is cheap crap but so soft that it won't chip off where a high quality i.e. harder product will, it seems to hold its gloss on out drives for some reson. tho i'd never use it on a car...
Old 11-24-2004, 08:12 PM
monsta

Imron work's great and last's. On the bare area's you should use an etching acid cleaner and rinse. Then prime with an etching primer. Followed by an epoxy primer, then top coat with the Imron. I've done it countless times and it last's and hold's up well.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:36 AM

I use Martin Senour ureethane enamel . Very flexible stuff ,wont chip. Definately use a good undercoat
Old 11-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't imron absorb water and bubble after a while?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's Mercury's recomendation from the web site:

Yes, MerCruiser has a refinishing procedure available. For best results we recommend this procedure be performed professionally.

Refinishing procedure:

This procedure should be used in refinishing MerCruiser sterndrives and transom plates. This procedure will provide the most durable paint system available in the field. The listed materials should be purchased from a local DITZLER AUTOMOTIVE finish supply outlet. The minimum packaged quantity of each material shown is sufficient to refinish several sterndrives and transom assemblies.

1 QT. DX-533 Alumiprep #33 metal preparation
1 QT. DX-503 Alodine #1201 conversion coating
1 QT. DP-40 Non sanding Epoxy Primer zinc chromate primer
1 QT. DP-401 Catalyst for DP-40
1 QT. DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel-black topcoat
1 Pt. DXR-80 Delthane Ultra-additive for acrylic enamel
1 QT. DTR-602 Acrylic Enamel Reducer-temperature range 70-90 degree F.

PROCEDURE:

1. Scuff sand to remove all blistered paint and roughen factory finish. Remove sanding dust.
2. Follow manufacturer's recommendations and instructions on the individual containers.
3. Apply DX-533 (Alumiprep #33) to clean and condition the aluminum.
4. Apply DX-503 (Alodine #1201) brush on chemical conversion coating for aluminum.
5. The DP-40 (Epoxy Chromate Primer) mixed with DP-401 Catalyst can now be applied. A .75 mil film build is recommended.
NOTE: Allow 30 minute induction period for permeation of the epoxy chromate primer and the catalyst prior to application.
6. The topcoat consists of DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel Black and the DXR-80 Delthane Ultra additive, and DTR-602 Reducer. It is a polyurethane acrylic enamel system which provides fast drying, durability, high resistance to corrosion and good color and gloss retention.
7. The type of spray gun used will determine the proper reduction ratio IMPORTANT: DO NOT use any type of aerosol spray paints, as the paint will not properly adhere to the surface, nor will the coating be sufficiently thick to resist future paint blistering.
NOTE: DO NOT PAINT SACRIFICIAL ANODES.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:28 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Imron with etching primer has always worked well for me. I have had some parts "e-coated", which actually electrically sucks the coating into the metal. Works great on CLEAN metal parts.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

My Dupont Rep. told me to stay away from Imron in water, and said if he was going to paint any boat or anything that was to be in water (which he does not recommend if it will be in water for over 2 weeks) he would use their single stage Dupont Chroma One, it is an inexpensive single stage paint, hard as a rock on the outside, soft underneath, and will stretch 1" over 22'. So I did, painted the boat and drives. So far I am impressed, just one season on it though.

Last edited by Rookie; 11-26-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Registered

My brother painted his boat years ago with Imron and if it set in the water for more then a day or so the paint would blister.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: painting outdrives

high quality paints are thick n hard and hold up until the surface is gouged the water will get behind it and lift it off in sheets. cheap nason synthetic enamel is soft if chipped, the area around the chip is unaffected. enamel will stick to an unprepped rock or brick so its sure to stick to a well sanded 220 grit scratch . id sand the drive with 80 grit then fill pits etc, prime then sand with 220 and paint with nason blue label enamel it will look good for years.ratman

Quick Reply: painting outdrives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.