Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel >

Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel

Notices

Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel

Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel

Great thread guys!

I'm extremely interested in the duramax, and reckon it would be a perfect marine motor.

I currently run a pair of 6.5's in a sportsboat in the UK, which I marinized myself, they make 325hp a piece, but I think the Duramax could easily make mid 400's when sorted.

Raylar, I'll keep a look out for your posts, but would rally apreciate it if you could drop me a line (PM) or post something about this project on the forum of our British site at www.boatmad.com when things move along.
I'm sure this would be interesting to many people here due to our high fuel costs.

here's a link to some pics of my motors/boat

http://www.boatmad.com/my%20phantom.htm
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel

Originally Posted by Raylar
We are currently in development of new hard parts and a new marinzation and drive system for the new LLY duramax but I cannot discuss anything at this time other than to say we will be out with some more information after the first of the year. This is going to really be a great project and should revolutionize performance boating as we know it today. Stay Tuned!
Ray @ Raylar

I'm interested in the "Duramax" engine... for use in our Hovercraft.

We don't need a marinized version for our application, just an ECU setup to run the engine outside of the truck!

Is this possible at the moment? Is there an Industrial version?

P.S. we're currently running a supposedly modified 6.5 @ 300hp in our smallest craft at the moment. It doesn't have any GUTS!!!

Thanks,

Raymond

www.hover-shuttle.com
'02 GMC Crew, Dually, Duramax
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Registered

Is ther anyone how have marinizing the duramax engine?
Having problem withe the harrnes/ecm

Ivar Norway

Last edited by ivar grannes; 10-10-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Ray,

What the hell kind of torque converter you gonna put on it to save the drive?

(hey, I wonder if that would help any...)
Torque converters multiply torque. It might smooth out any torsional vibrations, but it'd be increasing the overall torque number that the motor sees.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

why do you think torque converters multiply torque ? all a tC does is essentially convert rotary motion thru a fluid coupling. in practice they absorb and consume torque rather than multiply it unless there is a specific gear set AFTER the conversion... and they make all the heat in the universe while doing it.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
why do you think torque converters multiply torque ? all a tC does is essentially convert rotary motion thru a fluid coupling. in practice they absorb and consume torque rather than multiply it unless there is a specific gear set AFTER the conversion... and they make all the heat in the universe while doing it.
It's not a "thinking" it's a "knowing". Torque converters multiply torque. They cost you power, but you lose the power in RPM, not in torque.

Unless input and output speeds are the same, the torque converter is muliplying torque. Oftentimes doubling the torque or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered

that is flat wrong.

Last edited by stevesxm; 10-10-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

sleeper dave IS correct...

there IS a company marinizing the Dmax and it's an incedibly awesome looking package, I hope they sell a ton of them..
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

So the torque at the rear wheels in an automatic car is higher than a clutch equipped car?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by excalibur32
So the torque at the rear wheels in an automatic car is higher than a clutch equipped car?
Depends on the gear ratios in the trans. Usually the automatic will have a higher (lower numerically) first gear than the manual. They manuals usually have higher (lower numerically) rear end ratios. Plus you have to figure that when you're engaging the clutch, the inertia of the engine rotating at a higher speed than the driveline puts an extra dose of torque into the driveline (which is why you can spin the tires in a turd if you drop the clutch at a high enough RPM).

Quick Reply: Marinizing GM DuraMax Diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.