Can anyone help me? >

Can anyone help me?

Notices

Can anyone help me?

Old 12-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Can anyone help me?

I am currently in negotations for the purchase of a 1999 Sonic 260 prowler. The boat is in mint condition with 110 hrs. on it. I have found alot of postings that say this boat handles well in rough water. That is great since i boat mainly on the chesapeake bay which can get a little rough occasionally. But I am wondering if anyone could help me a bit. The boat has 110 hrs on it. 502/415hp. What kind of top speed couldI expect from that. I have a baja that will run around 80 on gps all day. I know this will not do the same. I just don't want to pay 50,000 for a 55 mph boat. Please..your help is more than appreciated!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone help me?

Sonic is a heavy boat. I doubt you'll see more than 60 with 415Hp. I think you'll need at leat 600 hp to make that puppy run in the high 70s / low 80s
Old 12-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I would think that with a 502cid/415hp engine the boat should be at least be able to hit 60mph. $50K isn't pocket change. I know the season is over with, but I would still try and water test the boat if you can----and if you do, don't just get in the boat and go for a drive/ride. While the boat is in the water, check for any kind of water leaks in the bilge, fuel leaks, hydraulic leaks, bad oil leaks, make sure the gauges, switches, and gadgets work, engine oil, fluid levels, engine leak down test, etc. Do your own inspection even though a qualitfied marine surveyor does a survey on your boat. He may miss something that you might catch---especially when you have the boat sitting in the water.

It can be easy to get excited over buying a new boat that you may really like or want, but make sure you do your homework when buying the boat and have a marine survey done on it.

I was able to put a down payment on my boat that was more than the bank required, and because of this I was given an option to have the boat surveyed. I thought I looked the boat over pretty well with some friends, and chose NOT to have a proffesional survey done on the boat. It was a big mistake, because I later discovered water in the bilge from a leaking K-plane bolt through the transom. About 1/3rd of the transom was rotted and we ended up having to replace the transom. Not that it would have kept me from buying the boat---but it would have at least alerted me to the problem, and given me more negotiating leverage/power if I wanted to pursue the purchase. Be calm, and patient. They can go a long way, and make things work for you. Wisdom is your friend. I hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by KAAMA; 12-04-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Put a procharger on it....should see high 70's to 80, maybe a little more depending on conditions. Just dont plan to run long trips in the rough, or you'll be shoving your guts back inside. Have a friend that has one. Nice boat, great size cabin for the size boat it is, but running in 3's or more for any time aint fun. Gets real rough. She handels it well, but she's outta the water more than in.... Just a little heads up from a guy has ridden in one several times.

Dont get me wrong, a very,very nice boat. But I would opt for an older boat that was bigger ( cost consideration ). On that water for extended trips or rough water to ride in comfort, I would want something in 30' range or bigger. Although in this range you will have twins ( a little more cost- maintainence wise, fuel,etc ) you have some redundancy. But you'll reap the rewards of a much better ride and comfort ! In the event you loose an engine you still can get back on one engine. With a twin engine boat in this ( 30' ) range, you should see 65-70 or more depending on power. Size matters in the rough. If you can afford it, go for it, or maybe look at something that has a few more years on it. Lots of real nice well maintained older stuff out there.

If your interested in a nice 32' boat on a trailer, I talked to guy in your area a while back. I think he still has it. Older boat, but in real, real good shape with a lot of ammenities. Power & drives redone recently. He bought a bigger boat & needs to sell this one. I just ended up with a lot bigger boat, otherwise I would have bought his. If interested in his boat, PM me & I will give you the details and contact info that I have. BTW, the price was killer,as he had to move it ! ( ALOT less than what your looking to spend on the Prowler )

What ever you buy, definately get a survey on your own. Dont take anyones word, especially if it is from a dealer/broker ( no offense ). Protect yourself & your hard earned dollars/investment. Good luck !
Old 12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

i knew one with an hp 500 and ran 63.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Registered

Sydwaz had the same boat. maybe he will chime in.

you may also want to start another thread maybe saying "Sonic 26 Speed ??" or something?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch out for corrosion on the 415s intake manifold at the front water passages. Was this run in salt or fresh water?

The round bottom at the transom is from the old Performer design I believe. The smaller Sonics had a tendency to porpoise at certain speeds. Drive before you buy!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
monsta

I rigged one with a 700 , which was a 500 with a small blower, and it ran 90/91 mph with an imco 2" shortie.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered

i would go older and bigger w/ twin setup, you will be glad you did we all make the mistake of not going big enough and wish we did, i had a 25 active thunder w/ 500hp it was a awsome boat in rough water and did 74mph on gps, i now have a 32 active thunder w/ twin 500s 86 on gps and a world of difference in overall ride in rough or calm water there is no substuite for size. thats my o2
Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Cozzi, not many remember the Performer. I believe they purchased the old 28' Donzi hull back in early 80's. That design was made to run max mid 60's or so. This is the same hull that sonic used to build there 26'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.