Question for the fiberglass experts. >

Question for the fiberglass experts.

Notices

Question for the fiberglass experts.

Old 12-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Question for the fiberglass experts.

Use Vinnylester. It gives you the benifiet of both. I find it MUCH easier to work with then epoxy.

Jon
Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would anyone want to use epoxy? Vinylester is far superior. Seacast is a pretty cool product. My friend has done a few transoms with it so far with very good results.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Superboat Guy
Why would anyone want to use epoxy? Vinylester is far superior. Seacast is a pretty cool product. My friend has done a few transoms with it so far with very good results.
How so, maybe I am a newbe with this stuff, but what are the pro and cons of each?

Thanks,
E.S.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

Vinylester is better than polyester but not even close to epoxy. If you don't care what your boat weights. use seacast, but if you do you will use a foam core and SLOW CURE epoxy. the slow cure will allow the air bubbles to escape... Epoxy will stick far better than vinylester and is alot less toxic.

Last edited by jimslade; 12-19-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Question for the fiberglass experts.

Let me start off by saying that I do not have the desire to argue with anyone and I am NOT an "Expert" in fiberglass fabrication. OK...

I used epoxy, West Systems in fact. Google the name and call their tech line. They will give your all the info you ever needed and then some.
Epoxy is FAR stronger than vinylester. Plywood is/has been used in boat constuction for years and is reliable and cheap. The Seacast product was interesting to me and I considered it. The didn't because it was too difficult to plug all of the holes in my transom and the cost was significantly more expensive than the plywood/epoxy route.
My opinion (Everybody has one of those, too) is to cut the top of the stringers, hog out ALL of the old wood, cut new wood, use West epoxy with their powder glue to thicken and then install. Use your engine mount holes to locate a clamping system in order to maintain a straight edge and uniform bonding.
If you are mechanically inclined to attempt this yourself, you can accomplish the job. It's really not that difficult. i redid the transom in my 33 Fountain. It was my first and I would put my work up against anyones (I'm just an average backyard wrench). My total cost for the project was just under six hundred bucks.

Tell you what. Get the area stripped of all mechanicals, buy the materials, send me a plane ticket and I will help you build it.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer

Tell you what. Get the area stripped of all mechanicals, buy the materials, send me a plane ticket and I will help you build it.
How does this look? Allmost empty to the bow. You can see all the pics on my "Carrera 24 Project" thread. Where should I send your ticket?

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails Question for the fiberglass experts.-inside-10.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

Nice meeting you, and BS'ing today. Gotta get together for when we have more time(my girl is just as impatient ). Whatever you do, if you need a hand, let me know. By the way, great idea on the cabin/bow pads, I think I am going to go that route.

Rick

Rick
Old 12-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Eric,

Nice meeting you, and BS'ing today. Gotta get together for when we have more time(my girl is just as impatient ). Whatever you do, if you need a hand, let me know. By the way, great idea on the cabin/bow pads, I think I am going to go that route.

Rick

Rick
Same here. Keep my number if you need a help on anything once you start putting that bad azz Pantera24 together. You got a deal on that one. Looks awesome.

My girl is from Brazil and being that she has never riden in a powerboat, she does not know what all the big deal is about. Only time I have really seen her take notice, was one time we were at Pantera and she saw Jo's raceboat being worked on. She keeps going on about that big black speedboat with the green eyes on the side. Well at least she has good taste, in boats as well.

E.S.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Epoxy is definatly stronger and has less fumes.

The problem with Epoxy is that it has a very slow cure time so it takes a lot longer to finish a job, It is much thicker so you really have to work to get it to saturate into the glass. This often causes people to use more resin then they otherwise would with poly or Vinnylester. There is also a huge cost difference btwn the two. If the utmost strength is needed then Epoxy is the way to go no doubt about it. If you are doing a job like this then Vinnylester is stronger then new and more then ample. It has very good secondary bonding characteristics. Another consideration is that if you plan to paint over the Epoxy then you have to use something that will not react with it. Any Vinnylester or Polyester based paint will not work for you. There are ways to do it but it adds to the work that you have to do.

As for the Foam, wood, or what ever to replace what was in there I just would need to know why it got rotten in the first place. In my boat is was very obvious as to why it rotted. They never capped the tops of the bulkheads. Now that is done It will not rot again in my life time. You can also use a Marine Mahogony Plywood that is designed for stringers. This wood does not absorb water like a lot of the others. Foam is of course the best but again it ads quite a bit to the costs.

Jon
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered

Minx,

You can PM me. I'd take a trip to FLA anytime, esp. this time of year. I'd rather take a trip for the booze, but there is always time for that...