Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is this motor winterized safely? >

Is this motor winterized safely?

Notices

Is this motor winterized safely?

Old 12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this motor winterized safely?

Bill,that is the way i do it the only thing you will half to do in spring is change the plugs
due to fogging!!!!!!!!
STAN
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggBlok
If I wanted to put in a Tee in, to attach a hose for flushing, where do these normally get installed, on the input side of the pump? I'd imagine you'd have to do that to prevent it from burning up the impeller for the lack of water! What kind of valve would you put there? Is there something at the hardware store I can pick up?

Once you put this valve in, do you just attach a hose to a bucket of antifreeze and let it suck it into the motor?

Seems like keeping antifreeze or the red stuff would be better than being empty... less corrosion??
For aprox 8 years I have used a 5 gallon bucket that I rigged with garden hose parts. Just bought a "Y" splitter and some end connectors and cut up short sections of a hose. I can feed water into the engine through the "Y" then after the temp is up and the bucket is on the swim platform, I close the freshwater feed and immediately open the antifreeze side. Then just fog the motor as the bucket starts to empty.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
BiggBlok

Originally Posted by t500hps
For aprox 8 years I have used a 5 gallon bucket that I rigged with garden hose parts. Just bought a "Y" splitter and some end connectors and cut up short sections of a hose. I can feed water into the engine through the "Y" then after the temp is up and the bucket is on the swim platform, I close the freshwater feed and immediately open the antifreeze side. Then just fog the motor as the bucket starts to empty.
First question is: On a Chevy BB (502), the inlet to the pump is 1-1/4", correct"
Second question is: I imagine I'd just need a "Y" (or "T") and two valves... this would allow me to cut the water from the outdrive and switch it over to the bucket... correct?

Thanks for the help!

D

Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Is this motor winterized safely?

First question is: On a Chevy BB (502), the inlet to the pump is 1-1/4", correct"
Second question is: I imagine I'd just need a "Y" (or "T") and two valves... this would allow me to cut the water from the outdrive and switch it over to the bucket... correct?

Thanks for the help!

D
I run 6 gallons of the blue stuff through the same way. Towards the end of the 6 gallons I get a white paper cup and collect the anti-freeze coming out of the exhaust. If it's dark blue I am good to go.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the help!

D
I have Bravo I and use the rabbit ears on the outdrive. If you tap into the inlet, I'm not sure what size hose to use. As Hydrocruiser said, I catch some of the outcoming fluid (it's hot!) and test it with one of those little ball testers for temp rating.
You will need to make short garden hoses with assorted ends on them to make the "Y" valve work in the opposite direction than it was intended. All the parts needed at Home Depot can't be more than $20.00.
Note the water from the hose has to feed into the male end of the "Y". The female outlet of the "Y" ends up having to feed the female end of the Rabit ears for the outdrive. (you end up making a short hose with 2 male ends and another with 2 female ends)
Russ C.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

My mechanic/service manager said every Merc boat they have ever worked on was 1.25 inch hose to the water pump. I even tried to argue with him, as I thought it was different, but they were right. My Sonic came from the factory with it installed, and did not have a to the drive cut off valve. Once the water pressure is applied to the inlet side of the pump, the water stops flowing out your outdrive. Its that simple. It also back flushes your outdrive. If you really wanted to, you could just stick some duct tape over your drive pickups to plug up that direction, but in my Sonic it was not necessary, even with just the 5 gallon jug of downward flow pressure antifreeze.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anti freeze? in florida we only have coolant, except on sat and sunday we have pina coladas. pass the sun screen...
Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Registered

i have a very easy system. i use my sea strainers and it never takes over 5 gall for pure anti freeze. i dont even have to drain them. after fogging pulling the props and the rest of the fun im done in under an hour.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

5 gallons of staight RV antifreeze, fuel stabilizer in the tank, take the props off. I don,t fog the motors as it only will be 3 to 4 months before I start it back up.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered

If you are in unheated storage fogging is a good idea. If you could go straight to winter and back to summer without all the variable temps condensation would not be an issue. Moisture will form and line the intake etc and sweat into the cylinders. Rust will form.

Blower motors do not have thermostats. I pour the red pop directly into the sea strainers.

Quick Reply: Is this motor winterized safely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.