High Volume sea pump options >

High Volume sea pump options

Notices

High Volume sea pump options

Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High Volume sea pump options

The kit was $250 and the only modifications required were driling holes in the mounting bracket. Pretty easy to retro-fit. I bought the pump because they claimed the impellar was nearly indestructable and they were willing to warranty it for 1yr with no questions asked if the inpellar fails. They claim you can run the motor dry and not hurt the impellar. I didn't notice increased flow, but never really checked. Their claim is the pump moves more water, but I cannot verify. I lost an impellar last season and went with this pump because of its durability claims.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How about teeing off the cooling system before the heat exchangers and feeding the oil coolers? Almost like what you would do for a chiller. This may increase water flow to the coolers and bring down temps. My problem is the opposite-my oil temps are too low and I'm installing thermostats to bring them up
Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will check them out Wette Vette. Do you have a web site? I run KE headers and am looking for more insurance against melt down. Because I run closed cooling, it may not be quickly evident if I lost sea water flow. May install pressure gages too.

Ted, the oil coolers are first in line after the seapump. They get the coldest water. But if the water flow through the cooler is too low due to other restriction upstream, the water will become thermally saturated and my oil will heat up. I'm wanting more flow through the coolers for this reason. The more I yak the more I think the engine heat exchanger may be the constraint.

Could be the suction side as well though. Anyone ever install thru hull water pickups before? What are transom pickups?

BT
Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
My problem is the opposite-my oil temps are too low and I'm installing thermostats to bring them up
What do you run for engine coolant tstats?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

After chasing hi oil temp for years, I finally figured out that the problem was really the oil pan. Once I got that handled was able to run 3 x 12 @1000 HP, also close cooled. BTW what do you consider hi?

I had pressure gauges at the feed for the headers. Just as you suspect you can have an exhaust melt down before the engine overheats.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Blue Thunder,
I went with external pickups and strainers after the stock Bravo style water inlet corroded to about a 1/4 " opening. I have some new Stainless Marine transom mount pickups I'll let ya have cheap. Not sure where you are on the Bay, I may not be that far from ya. I'll be glad to show how my pickups are setup as well. PM me if your interested.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

I dug out my receipt and the pump is actually KPM, not KTM. The website is "teamKPMracing.com". KTM's are motorcycles!!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, I figured the heat exchanger might be reducing flow volume and that's why a T in front of it might give you more flow through the cooler and then just dump them out the side. Transom pickups mount at the deepest part of the V on the transom-best place to pick up water for full flow and nowhere near as much restriction as a drive pickup. I am running crossovers with no thermostats so the temps stay low, just need to bring the oil temps up a little and it will be all good.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 440 Likes on 239 Posts

the drive pickup is a big restriction on the suction side u must go to hull pickups as they will feed the system at speed and just blow thru the merc pump then u trim the pickup to adjust the water pressure as it is easy to have way too much pressure if you insist the large diesels run up to a 4 inch inlet and discharge picture your exaust hose on the inlet to seastrainer! we run a globe impeller in a merc pump(soft so it is easy to bypass)we had to glue and safty wire all the hoses on as the first test we had 140 psi inlet pressure ! all hoses are 1.250 and we bleed off water for the intercooler at the sea strainer that we installed a pressure relieve valve to dump excess overboard(1400)hp
Old 12-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Site pages are slow to load , I gave up on a few.I have never heard of these guys??

http://www.team-kpm-racing.com/products/index.html

http://www.team-kpm-racing.com/produ...ges/page3.html

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: High Volume sea pump options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.