Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Antifreeze (Red or Green) >

Antifreeze (Red or Green)

Notices

Antifreeze (Red or Green)

Old 12-17-2004, 07:47 AM
BiggBlok

Default Antifreeze (Red or Green)

There's been talk about putting the Red RVAntifreeze in your boat for winter storage. Outside of propperly disposing of the regular automotive antifreeze, is there any reason not to use that stuff?

Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Antifreeze (Red or Green)

It is poisonous, you cannot use for any water system that could be ingested, in Ohio it is illegal to winterize with the automotive.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggBlok
Outside of propperly disposing of the regular automotive antifreeze, is there any reason not to use that stuff?

The $$$$, compared to the RV stuff.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told the red stuff was "permanent" antifreeze that was developed for engines with aluminum alloy parts mixed with steel and cast-iron parts. Something about less electrolysis...
Old 12-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ive used and reused the green stuff for years. drain it out in the spring so Im not poisening anything and reuse it in the fall. At $4 at gallon in fall when its on sale, nothing better. The green stuff doesnt turn to snow cones like the other stuff.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I was told the red stuff was "permanent" antifreeze that was developed for engines with aluminum alloy parts mixed with steel and cast-iron parts. Something about less electrolysis...
The red automotive antifreeze is phosphate free... but I think they are talking about the antifreeze that you put in the drain pipes of your RV That stuff wasn't made to circulate in a cooling system... it's only so the pipes don't freeze.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also has no rust inhibitors. For plastic only. But short term winter use would be OK.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by formula31
The green stuff doesnt turn to snow cones like the other stuff.
I have always been leary of the snow cone formula anti-freeze. I am using the purple stuff now (-60F). What's your opinions of dry storage?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
The red automotive antifreeze is phosphate free... but I think they are talking about the antifreeze that you put in the drain pipes of your RV That stuff wasn't made to circulate in a cooling system... it's only so the pipes don't freeze.
I call the rv stuff pink. The red stuff came in my new truck .The green I mix with milk for Neighbors cat walks on boat cover leaving fur but He want drink it

Never heard of the Purple ?whats it?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaz583
Red -100, cut it 3-1 which is -40. Has rust inhibitors like the green, but not toxic. If you missed some water, when you drained, it will mix with it, and still protect the block. When you cut it 3-1, at $9.00 a gallon, that comes down to $3.00 which is close to the -50 pink stuff that doesn't like to mix with water. Green stuff is a PITA. Besides being toxic, it is slimy, and makes a mess if you spill any or get it on your hands.
My understanding is both red and green formulas are toxic... but the red has a bitter taste and is acrid smelling... whereas the green is sweet and some dogs will lap it up if they find it running on the ground. I remember in the early days of the red antifreeze it was billed as "pet safe" not because it wasn't toxic... but that it's smell and taste was so bad they wouldn't touch it.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze (Red or Green)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.