Trailer Backing Into Garage

Old 12-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Backing Into Garage

Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom
an old Jeep works well to and you can find them in the paper cheap
Funny you mentioned this. I needed to move my boat back 1 foot the other day and didn't want to hassle with the truck. So I just set the tongue on the front bumper of my Jeep Wrangler. Dang thing didn't stop going down until the frame was sitting on the axle. Going to block it with 4x4's next time.

BTW, have you priced Jeeps lately?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Kinda like my setup, as far as manueverabilty. The pic may not show it, but my boat alone also is longer than the front of the 3rd stall to the curb. (8x9 door) I can back it in with no problem and also stay out of the yard across the street. I just start off in front of the neighbors house hugging the curb across the street and slowly make as wide of a turn as possible. I usually have to pull forward to straighen out the truck because I have to have it lined up straight when going in.

WOW, you get a 32' boat in there? Impressive driving.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to suggest that you lay it all out in a parking lot and try it but since you said that you do not have the rig yet I guess that aint gona happen.... Any chance you have a friend with a similiar boat? One of the things that my wife and I have been doingn while designing the house is to go down to the beach at low tide and lay out the plans in the sand. I really helps a lot for her to understand what all the dimensions are. I have worked in construction long enough now that I can see it better but even I find problems while doing that.

Jon
Old 12-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I'd change the garage/house plan to this, and put the widest door you can put on there. From the street, it would look fine.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Backing Into Garage-garage.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
WOW, you get a 32' boat in there? Impressive driving.
Yep, no problem. 48' deep too on that last 16' width. Sucks because I can get a bigger boat, just won't fit under the door.

I agree with Sydwayz, that outside corner is going to be your biggest obsticle. I luck out because mine extends out, not recessed in.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'd change the garage/house plan to this, and put the widest door you can put on there. From the street, it would look fine.
Thanks Sydwayz; I will do this and hope for the best, If I can't get the boat in there, I could at least part the trailers in there (taking tires off the back two axles). I will also "work on" the neighbor across the street to allow me to enter his yard, I only want to put the boat in when I pull an engine or there is a 'cane coming (hopefully only once every couple of years) the rest of the time it will be on the hoist in the back of the house.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

You could do it like I described, and make it big enough to put two cars side by side at the front of the garage. Much more versatile. It would be pretty trick.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing that you might want to be concerned with is the rise of the driveway apron/curb. Usually, these are only about 12" to 14" high, but if your vehicle's hitch rides too low, you will drag the bottom of the trailer tongue or ball hitch on the ground until your rear wheels hit the apron. The same thing goes for the rear trailer box extension behind the trailer's rear axle. If the tires and suspension are not tall enough to keep the trailer's rear from hitting the apron, you will NEVER get the boat on the side of your house (unless you used some monster truck tires...)

Good Luck!

-Larry