Question about exhaust system >

Question about exhaust system

Notices

Question about exhaust system

Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about exhaust system

I'm swapping the exhaust on my 311 SR1 Formula. Got a set of EMI Thunder aluminum manifolds and risers. I needed to have some 3 inch riser spacers. Eddie Marine discontinued the spacers so I had to have some made up. Took one of the risers to the machine shop so they could use it as a pattern. So now the risers, spacers, and gaskets all have water jackets on all four sides. We went to bolt the spacers up today and we see that the manifolds DO NOT have any water jackets in them, just the four threaded bolt holes. So we don't know what to do. The manifolds and risers have a plug for a hose, but that would leave the spacer a "dead zone". We don't know if that's an issue or not. We don't know if we got the wrong manifolds. We don't know if we're just being stupid or not. Basically we don't know squat. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Question about exhaust system

ive got 28 sonic with emi thunder.your right there are no holes on the machined surface that is so there wont be any leaks of water dripping back down into the exhaust chamber.and yes there are holes in the riser they are there only for when you take them a part to clean or replace gaskets they will be able to have a good flush.the spacer wont be a problem as long its alu or stainless.the only problem you might have is the hose from the manifold to the riser being short.other whys you have a great system.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

there ya go ...now finisher that Focker up !
Old 12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Eddie marine makes their risers with a 3 inch "lift" option.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by powerguy
Eddie marine makes their risers with a 3 inch "lift" option.
They told me that option was on the Stainless Risers only, not on the aluminum ones which I have.

Thanks guys for the info. I don't mind feeling stupid for being careful, I do mind feeling stupid for being stupid.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a set of EMI 3" spacers collecting dust. Make me an offer.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab28
I've got a set of EMI 3" spacers collecting dust. Make me an offer.
I actually needed two sets (4) for both motors. Where were you when I needed ya???
I put a thread out and a wanted ad in the wanted section over a month ago. Wish I'd known. Do your EMI spacers have water jackets in them? Would like to at least know that. Thanks for trying....Appreciate it. Russ
Old 12-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

Id be scared to run a 3" aluminum spacer that wasnt water jacketed. The exhaust stream is very hot right there. Im making some 1"ones for my Gils just to add O2 sensors and Im am serious thinking about going SS instead of Aluminum for the same reason.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
Id be scared to run a 3" aluminum spacer that wasnt water jacketed. The exhaust stream is very hot right there. Im making some 1"ones for my Gils just to add O2 sensors and Im am serious thinking about going SS instead of Aluminum for the same reason.
And Im not talking about water jackets that transfer water through the flange. Thats the Merc design and it sucks. But I wonder if the spacer shouldnt be jacketed with a hose in and hose out to cool it. Unfortunatly, this make it a whole lot tougher to build.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Well the spacers have already been milled out of solid aluminum billet. And they machined the water jackets in all four sides using the riser as a pattern. They did a great job.

Yesterday Scott and I were talking about how to cool the spacer and it would take an "inlet" cut in on all four sides, which would be virtually impossible to do, particularly the side against the engine. It seems reasonable that water will get into those jackets by law of "water runs downhill" by the water running down from the risers above, and that water would transfer heat. Now if the water gets hot enough to steam, as the steam escapes, water from above should replace it.

Responses have been that's how they are running them. I'm going to call Eddie Marine tomorrow just to run this entire scenario by them and see what they think, just as a caution. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 12-19-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.