Notices

Gimbals

Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gimbals

The gimbals on my XR's are worn. I know I can have them repaired and it would cost less but Imco offers a stronger gimbal ring. Next year I expect to be around 625-650 HP each engine. Would the Imco gimbal be worth the extra money?

Everything is apart now. Motors, drives and extension boxes, all are off the boat.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:25 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gimbals

FOR THE COST I CAN REPAIR THEM FOR 200.00 EACH. REPLACE THE SWIVEL SHAFTS FOR 140.00 EACH.( STAINLESS THAT WOUNT RUST AND TEAR OUT THE SEAL ) WHOLE LOT CHEAPER THAN 1000.00 EACH. I DONT THINK YOU NEED IMCO'S RING LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE RUNNING STOCK WITH OUT VERY MANY PROBLEMS WITH 600 HP. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS RETOURQUE THE U BOLT 3 TIMES A YEAR AND THE TOP OF THE RING WOUNT WEAR OUT. LOOK AT MY WEB SIGHT WWW.JRMARINE.COM UNDER HP PARTS & GIMBAL RING REPAIR. IF YOU DO DESIDE TO GO WITH IMCO'S RING ILL BUY YOUR WORN OUT RINGS FOR 25.00 EACH. I USE THEM FOR EXCHANGES. RON BENDER 216-390-1330

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 12-24-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Ron, Merry christmas. Do you have a date that you will ship my ring back? I also needed the swivel holes redrilled.

thanks
Shawn Smith
New Jersey
Old 12-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

It is my understanding that you don't really need to have HP gimbals are better when you are using full hydraulic steering. When you have full hydraulic steering alll the stress that is on the gimbal ring and tiller bar is removed and held with the end of the hydraulic cylinders and tie bar. and realistically standard gimbals on a boat with these other options would suffice.

anyone else have the same opinion ?

Don
Old 12-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have full hydraulic steering and my boat only has about 150 hours on it. I'm sure the previous owner was rough on the boat but for the gimbals to wear out so fast seems strange to me. The motors are only rated at 550 hp. The motors are being completely rebuilt and the hp gains are just a bonus. I'm looking for reliability from the motors, drives and everything else.

From what I read, Ron is the man for repairing them but can I expect them to last longer than the original. It sounds like you think the Imco is over kill for my application. I'm tired of breaking things. I have to make up my mind by the first of the year.

Roger
Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Imco's Ring Is Great For The Racers Who Break Their Rings Racing. I Have Never Seen A Ring Break In A Poker Run Anywhere. Big Horse Power & Big Waves Running Hard Break Rings. The Slop That Happens At The Swivel Shaft Is Due To The U Bolt Stretching Out From Pressure. Mercury Says To Re Torque 3 Times A Year. 53 Ft Lbs. do Not Go Over Because The U-bolt Will Stretch! Ron Bender
Old 12-24-2004, 10:29 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Shawn Im Back From Hunting Your Ring Is Welded And Will Be Machined This Coming Week. Your Swivel Shaft Is No Good To Much Wear And Rust. You Also Need To Replace The Large Wear Bushing In The Gimbel Housing. I Have Them. Ron
Old 12-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Registered

Ron, Ok what did you kill? I heard you were in Russia.

I will also need the U bolt and nuts. can you drill and tap another hole in the bottom of the ring to replace the broken off screw for the grounding straps.

thanks
shawn
Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

I Was Lucky Go Get A 450 Lb Grizzly Which Will Make The Top 10 In The Record Book. Ill Take Care Of The Holes. Ron
Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered

I've seen a stainless gimbal ring on e-bay. It was also polished. I should have saved the info. Does anyone know who has these? It was in the $ 600 range. I want to fix a couple of bravo transom assy's up and would love to be able to get everything I might need.
Hey Ron, Is there a repair for the housing when the upper bushing wears out, and eggs out the casting? I have some that I'd like to fix. Has anyone seen them welded up and re-worked. I really like the access plate to fix e-m on the boat. I cant see giving Merc. $3000 for a new unit. I would love to make money fixing these and think there has to be more solutions coming, If not maybe I'll have to get more involved in a solution. These transom assy's are like gold. With everyone going from alpha to bravo there seems to be a shortage of T/A's. Stock bravo drives seem to be very avail, due to most high performance guys upgrading. This in turn translates into regular boaters scoffing up the transom assembleys, and using stock bravo's for durability. Would anyone advise welding up a broken g.ring ? From boat that had hit a rock ! BBB Thanks to all..................

Quick Reply: Gimbals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.