Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    '02 Daytona 30

How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

My non OSO bud tagged a log sometime, broke off the leading edge of the drive skeg, about 1" x 5" worth. It's a 2000 Bravo LWP unit on a stock 502 mag, about 150 hrs so otherwise pretty healthy, light boat (32 fever) with Twins.

The leading edge overlays for recreational boats would do the job but need be the "correct" repair for a performance boat IMHO. So what's the best thing to do, weld a piece in and repaint? Any shops specialize in this? Sterndrivespec?? Is it feasible or is he just better off finding a used lower?

My Boats:
    1990 Baja 190 DSR

Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

Get a belt sander, sand it until it looks factory, then repaint.

you still need to account for the missing piece....

Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 32 Fountain Fever, 1995 Baja 29' Cruiser

Do what I did. You can order new skegs (actually just cut offs from factory damaged or defective drives cut right under the torpedo) for approx $25 from BAM and cut out only the area you need to put yours back to original shape. Better than just welding in a peice of aluminum as it is already to shape. Have it welded on,then sand smooth. I then use Marine Tex as a filler over the weld imperfections. Looks like new and can not tell it has been repaired. Much better looking than filing whats left of your drive. Just have to sand the paint off inthe area of the weld. I just sandblasted my both of my lowers and installed all new bearings and seals while I was repairing the skegs. Didn't need to go to the extreme, but figured what the hell.
    Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1986 261 liberator 1987 357 sr1

contact jason kunkle kunkle marine he can fix better than new cheap 419 529 4446

My Boats:
    Hustler 388

Quote Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
    Do what I did. You can order new skegs (actually just cut offs from factory damaged or defective drives cut right under the torpedo) for approx $25 from BAM and cut out only the area you need to put yours back to original shape. Better than just welding in a peice of aluminum as it is already to shape. Have it welded on,then sand smooth. I then use Marine Tex as a filler over the weld imperfections. Looks like new and can not tell it has been repaired. Much better looking than filing whats left of your drive. Just have to sand the paint off inthe area of the weld. I just sandblasted my both of my lowers and installed all new bearings and seals while I was repairing the skegs. Didn't need to go to the extreme, but figured what the hell.
    Looks slick . I think I would of had to polish it out,bling

My Boats:
    Formula242ls and others

Lightbulb Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

I am lucky to have found an awesome welding shop. Alloy welding in Farmingdale NY. I have brought several Bravo lowers to them with the skeg completely gone. I've had them weld up some cases that no other shop, or yard I know of, would consider repairable. I save the uppers that blow up internally and us them to cut repair pieces . The secret in getting it done right is using material that is sand casted and similar in alloy to the Merc. case. This will allow for an easy, strong, uniform weld job. If they fill the case with water, the seals survive. Maybe because I give this shop alot of work, I get better prices. I can't believe how reasonable the costs are. If anybody needs there # PM me. They make fuel tanks, towers, u-name it. And they are nice people. BBB

My Boats:
    Formula242ls and others

Lightbulb Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

I am lucky to have found an awesome welding shop. Alloy welding in Farmingdale NY. I have brought several Bravo lowers to them with the skeg completely gone. I've had them weld up some cases that no other shop, or yard I know of, would consider repairable. I save the uppers that blow up internally and us them to cut repair pieces . The secret in getting it done right is using material that is sand casted and similar in alloy to the Merc. case. This will allow for an easy, strong, uniform weld job. If they fill the case with water, the seals survive. Maybe because I give this shop alot of work, I get better prices. I can't believe how reasonable the costs are. If anybody needs there # PM me. They make fuel tanks, towers, u-name it. And they are nice people. BBB

My Boats:
    1993 26ft corsa marine

new skeg Bobs machine sells new skegs that aren't cut offs from Merc they are much easier to install.
    Last edited by muffman; 11-25-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    cig tp gun

i like merc's replacements, the aluminum is purer , and easier to weld. all the replacements that i got were new not cuts. just weld a small piece in and fill low section with weld , grind smooth. easy. i wouldn't cut off the whole skeg for a small repair..