Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Experts: Runner length and volume? >

Experts: Runner length and volume?

Notices

Experts: Runner length and volume?

Old 01-06-2005, 04:46 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Default Re: Experts: Runner length and volume?

Tomcat,
This may help also....some of us hang out on this site www.speedtalk.com There is always good hard core facts on this site from some of the best in the industry. Don Terrell is an ex-cup guy and knows alot of people.

Chris

Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
Do you guys make custom intake manifolds? If so I would be interested in hearing your opinion about what gains could be expected on my motor with a custom designed manifold. I know it won't be cheap, but what is with this sport?

Craig
Old 01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Craig,
No we take care of the bottom end. I would go with CFE or Wilson. Both know there stuff. If you go with CFE, I know Scott, tell him Chris from Stef's called and he will take care of you.

Chris

Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Registered

Thanks Chris!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kennywould
Thanks Artic, Raylar I appreciate that. We thought that the design of the stock plenum and the height of the intake into the plenum wasn't very impressive! There was plenty of talk in one of the boat mags about cutting the tops off the intake 1/2" to set them level in the plenum, but it seemed that the problem with that, the flat tops on the runners and the size of the stock throttle bodies weren't cutting it! It's not easy to see on that pic but I cut down the dividers just past the intake bolts, about 5" and opened up the tops which I guess you still have 12" runners in the manifold alone but the top 5" is siamesed and I think they really help feed each other. I removed as much of the metal I could inside the bottom 7" of the runners, opened those up nicely. I never flowed the intake but I can tell you it made a heck of a difference! The plenum was a design as you go, I took some criticism from some about it but there again it seems to work well! I don't know for sure but I think there is a dyno sheet laying around here somewhere, see if I can dig up some numbers.
Found this laying around, don't know if you will be able to read it.

Last edited by GPM; 08-05-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by GPM
Thats why I keep you around, information, just a closet full!

Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Registered

GPM,
What are the particulars on that motor? I am assuming that is the motor with the modified intake manifold. Is he running a stock oil pump? We run a stock low volume oil pump on our 468" in our 66 Vette and that is about where the oil pressure is with 10W30 Mobil 1.

Craig
Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Better ask Kennywould,it was a while ago, I just dialed in the EFI.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Kennywould,you also made impressive dyno numbers(really close to what my 540 made on dyno with m-3 procharger at 6 psi boost). Fill us in on your combo(.050 duration,cam specs,compression,injector size,exhaust etc). Are you using mefi3 controller,who did your program for you. Did you use progressive linkage on your throttle bodies or do they open at same time. Are you using a stock tps on just one of them to tell computer info? Are you using merc iac motor and map sensor mounted to your custom top half?How much fuel presure/injector size?I am learning a little more every time someonetells about these fuel injected combos!
GPM,does the fast controller come with a base program that you tweak with laptop on the dyno at different settings and pulls or do you have to start at square one and create a program and make 100's of trial and error pulls on the dyno? Are you running somekind of exhaust sensor that modifys fuel curve (o2 wide band or something). I'm gunshy of getting a different fuel injection and trying to get program right while test driving boat under boost on water(one lean run and its all over!). Obviously you must have to start out fat and sloowly lean it down until its still making safe power,ive kind of done this already with factory fuel injection on my boat with blown 540 by slowly stepping up base timing and adjusting boost referenced fuel presure.Do you run a flat given fuel presure and make adjustments to your pulse width with your set-up or are you raising fuel presure with boost? I hate the boost refernced set-up on my boat,it's too rich at part throttle boost and i'm definately going to run bigger injectors in whatever fuel injection i run next year and use the two bar map sensor to tell computer to adjust fuel curve,i'm currently doing both and its NOT precise. Thanks for any info,I haven't been able to get any exact answers from the "fuel injection experts" other than multiple reprograms of my controller,Smitty
Old 01-06-2005, 07:13 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
GPM,
What are the particulars on that motor? I am assuming that is the motor with the modified intake manifold. Is he running a stock oil pump? We run a stock low volume oil pump on our 468" in our 66 Vette and that is about where the oil pressure is with 10W30 Mobil 1.

Craig
-Craig
Motor 564 cu, hand ported bb2 xtra heads, 300/308solid roller, 9:1, stroker crank, home grown intake & plenum. I think after several pulls with no oil cooler, the oil pressure is going to drop, usually running straight 40w

Quick Reply: Experts: Runner length and volume?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.