Notices

POS Jeep!

Old 01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry POS Jeep!

Wifey was driving her Jeep today and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zip and the CEL came on. Of course she calls me- "what do I do?". I had checked the oil (and other fluids) Saturday, and all was well. She said she checked oil and it was ok, but she bought 2 qts anyway. I told her to put one in and start the car and see what happened. She did, and said gauge came up to normal, and CEL went off. I told her to put in other qt and come home, now. She said "do you know how hard it is to put oil in the car, with the paper funnel they give you?". So she didn't put the other qt in. A while later she calls again, and says CEL light is on again and gauge is back to zip. I told her to put other qt in and see what happens. She calls back after a while and says the engine is tapping a lot and the CEL is on again and no oil pressure. I told her DO NOT DRIVE IT! I went to get her and took a couple qts of oil with me. I checked it and it was over full. I put 2 qts in, and started it. The gauge came up, and the engine quieted down right away. After about 30 seconds, the gauge dropped to zip, and it started tapping again. Now I got to tow it somehow from West Chester, Pa, back to my house in Wilmington so I can look and see what is wrong. U-Haul says they don't have any tow-dollies available locally, as they are out out in use. What a pain. My budget really sucks right at the moment, so a tow-truck is out of the question. But my biggest concern is -what the heck has gone wrong with the g**d**m engine!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: POS Jeep!

Does it have oil lines that lead to an external oil cooler or filter?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Registered

No, It's a 99 with the 4 cyl engine. Nothing fancy or anything added. 100% factory stock.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

Oh- a little post-whorin' here, lol. When I went to pick her up, she told me why she had such a hard time putting the oil in. She was putting it in through the dipstick tube! And here I thought she knew better. At least she didn't put it in the trans! I love my wife dearly, so I didn't make any smart comments about where you put the oil in at. But my tongue sure is sore from biting it!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely particles clogging the screen. What kind of oil change history has it had?
Do not drive it overfull either, you aerate the oil and lose pressure.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

I had something similar happen with my 1990 302 bronco.Oil pressure would die after a minute of running,turn the motor off and restart and the oil pressure was fine for a minute and than would go to zero again.To make a long story short the problem was a FRAM no leak down filter that the check valve must have gone bad because i changed the oil and put a oldstyle FRAM filter on and all was well after that.I was sure the motor would never last after being run without pressure,but that was 10,000 miles ago.Just for curosity to make sure that it was the filter that was the problem i put the old one back on again and the oil pressure did the same thing as before with the oil pressue suddenly dieing.The filter that went bad on me had a thousand miles on it before it acted up like this.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

I have also experienced putting synthetic oil in a older motor that had always had mineral oil in it and the detergents in the synthetics washed out the inside of the motor so well that all the crap clogged up the oil pickup
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Oil change history hasn't been the best. I don't plan on driving it til I get it home and look at it. I'm sure not driving it with no oil pressure, lol.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered

At the very least I would drop the oil pan and check out the pick up screen( very easy). Also, the oil filter could be the problem if you use the cheapie filters. Only use fram or mopar.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

So what happened David?

Quick Reply: POS Jeep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.