Notices

Speedmaster 4

Old 01-08-2005, 08:12 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: Speedmaster 4

What else is kinda crazy is I know of some folks who spend tens of thousands on their motors, won't step up to a Speedy but will shell out tons of $ trying to get the Bravo to work....drive after drive after drive.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me, I need #4's or #5's and drive line trany's for my personal Top Gun
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

seabeach,

As you can see you are going to get several opinions and some good input here. To some it's an easy decision and to others it is not. It's not always a "no brainer"---- There are too many variables i.e. boat weight, HP, driver's habits, airtime, etc. I guess I don't know if I would want to go and install an obsolete drive (SSM#4) that parts are either unavailable for or rapidly moving in that direction as time goes on. On the other hand you already have an outdrive (Bravo) that cannot take as much power as the #4 without breaking, and are prone to failure, but parts are plentiful and available---it's almost like an unfair, no win situation. The durability and availability seems to be one of the biggest issues with outdrives these days.

My boat is smaller (32' A/T) and therefore lighter than yours. I bought my boat used with TRS drives, but modified it to take the Bravo XR drives. Whether you do it yourself or pay the large amount of $$$ to have it done...to me it was no cake walk-----but then perhaps I don't have as mush money or am not as skilled as you either. I guess it's a matter of perspective and much of it depends on how much $$$ you can afford and how much you are willing to spend-----and it sounds like either way you are going to pay if you want to play. Welcome to offshore performance boating. I wish you the best.

Last edited by KAAMA; 01-10-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I read the thread I see that the #4 drives are used on Fountain, Top Gun, ie single hulls and several of you are telling me to use them so I think my question about that #4 is a design for V-bottom or cat hull is answered and that they will fit my hull. The next question is if it is worth both the money and work involved doing the change? I think that I have some thinking to do and some decisions to make..... What I noticed this summer was that things around the drives (Bravo) are beginning to give up, trim cylinder bushings and steering lever for example but the drives them self seem ok so far.. I am easy on the throttles and I almost never fly