stringer 800 to Merc.  adapter plate >

stringer 800 to Merc. adapter plate

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen one but outdrives.com has them for apx $700 . I'm repowering a boat for a friend, and am considering this plate. It's supposedly an aluminum casting that bolts right in the omc hole. The Mercruiser transom assembly bolts up to this plate. It sounds alot easier than all the glasswork. Has anyone seen this ? Or would anyone recommend this ? The transom in the boat is solid and not rotted. Even though it's an '85 25' Regal , it's really mint and all the upholstery and canvas etc is like new. Basically the boat is worth the conversion. Would I be better off just plugging the hole and cutting the Merc hole. I'm aware of all that's involved. I e-mailed outdrives.com asking for a picture and instructions. Is it one piece or a sandwich ? I want to make sure that this doesn't leak. If I use the plate , I'll use 5200 and seal it up good. I have to do this right ! Thanks
BBB
Old 07-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stringer 800 to Merc. adapter plate

i had a mechanic tell me the other day that all that is needed to do it is the jig and template from merc... then you just drill the new bolt holes and mount the new drive... i was inquiring about swapping from a cobra drive to a bravo, and he said he's done tons of them and it only takes a few ours to do if you remove the old drive your self... i asked him about having to rip out the old transom and redo everything and he said that you definitely don't have to do that... it's literally just drilling new holes.....
Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered

bull$hit
The following users liked this post:
Bondo (03-10-2022)
Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 PM
MOP
Registered

I feel you are better off glassing, what ever the thickness of the adaptor it will reduce the primary shaft depth in the spline.

Phil
Old 07-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

I have one of these adapters that is like brand new.It came on a bayliner that i bought for the engine package only,scrapping the boat and don't need the adapter,make me an offer,it is a two peice unit and is very well made and like new condition.It duplicates the thickness of the original transom also.

Last edited by tommymonza; 07-08-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the adapter plate that goes from the older Volvo's to Mercruiser. Never seen one for OMC's 800 or electric shift drives. Thats a big hole to fill. The Volvo one works ok but it's expensive and usually a boat that old you want to check out the transom wood very well. if there is any rot you are better off replacing the wood in the transom which will let you install any drive you want. The Cobras are the same cutout as Merc.
The following users liked this post:
Bondo (03-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtie
I have used the adapter plate that goes from the older Volvo's to Mercruiser. Never seen one for OMC's 800 or electric shift drives. Thats a big hole to fill. The Volvo one works ok but it's expensive and usually a boat that old you want to check out the transom wood very well. if there is any rot you are better off replacing the wood in the transom which will let you install any drive you want. The Cobras are the same cutout as Merc.
when you say the cobras are the same cutout as the merc, which merc are you referring too, alpha or bravo?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We converted a Formula 202 with an OMC to a Mercrusier setup years ago. We bolted a 1/4 aluminum plate (properly treated-then sealed) to the transom. I don't remember what we put on the inside of the transom. We installed the Merc assemblies and installed the motor. The motor was about a 320 hp small block w/ all Gil equipment and the package just screamed and ran fine for years.- Jeff
Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered

Post Re: stringer 800 to Merc. adapter plate

Originally Posted by j_cizzo
when you say the cobras are the same cutout as the merc, which merc are you referring too, alpha or bravo?
Cobra has the same keyhole as Merc alpha or bravo. Just drill the top holes and make sure steering arm makes full swing, that's it !
OMC stringer has a hole big enough to pass the block through(I've done it ! )
Had taken on a job for a beautiful regal that was mint except for bad omc 350 stringer with bad boot as well.
Took job on because strendrives.com was making adaptor plates. They discontinued them, probably because not enough would sell, and had to glass transom.
Had a fiberglass expert friend of mine help me rebuild the transom cutting way back into good wood routing it out and making the puzzle pieces from the inside and outside and screwing and glassing everything together. It still ended up failing, first blew a coupler, than when boat was hauled noticed cracks around the repair. While the glass work was being done I questioned the glass guy and he said that it was tapered out far enough and there were enough layers of glass.
I should have done the job myself, I would have overdone it , and it would not have failed and I wouldn't have had any more aggrivation with it.
Better to overbuild than to say it's good enough and have to do it again, and spend time and money, and nobodys happy !
Old 03-08-2022, 07:32 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=tommymonza;1790889]I have one of these adapters that is like brand new.It came on a bayliner that i bought for the engine package only,scrapping the boat and don't need the adapter,make me an offer,it is a two peice unit and is very well made and like new condition.It duplicates the thickness of the original transom also.[/QUOTE

do you still have this plate?

Quick Reply: stringer 800 to Merc. adapter plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.