HP500 Piston to valve clearance >

HP500 Piston to valve clearance

Notices

HP500 Piston to valve clearance

Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HP500 Piston to valve clearance

Maybe I should go with the old standby Nickerson blower cam....252/258 @.050 .680/.708" 114CL solid roller. If it were an all out race motor like my old 632" was then I would sweat all the "small" details and worry about every ounce of power. It's not, motor is being built to utilize most of its original parts and 1 of (2) cams I've seen work many many times for the application. If it were, the GM heads would be in the corner and the motor would have a solid roller in it.

I'm not the type of person that would hold anyone accountable for their advise good or bad especially in a forum...in this business, SH*T happens and parts will break. If I couldn't live with that then I would buy a bayliner or pontoon.

Bryon, you're right there are some knowledgable people on the boards, there's also some knowledgable people at the cam companies, teague, nickerson, etc. IMHO, there is no substitute for the knowledge of several people you personally know and trust who "have been there and done that" so to speak, especially in this business. Most of the people on here I don't know from "Adam" so while I respect some of their opinions, I always fall back on what's been proven to work. Remember, everythings a compromise unlees you are starting from scratch and bulding an all out race motor...I've done that too, and it was a compromise...but I didn't want to spend the coin on Sonny's Chief heads or try to make a bravo live @7000+rpm.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the cam i had in my 502 with a b m 420 8.5 lbs of boost and dart pro ones it worked great it almost made the same power as my 548 with the same heads and cam 6.5lbs of boost
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft
Old 01-20-2005, 08:17 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Vette,
Your right. If the heads are not milled, stock deck, .041" thick gasket,and the cam phasing is left as it is ground, you should have plenty of PV clearance. Checking springs can be bought from Powerhouse, a division of Comp.

Chris