Best Nose Cone

Notices

Best Nose Cone

Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Nose Cone

I can't tell you about hole shot or midrange. He only ran the one weekend with one nose cone. Neither of us ran our boats without nose cones. They went on before the boats ever got wet.

I don't know which way you are spinning your props, but if you are spinning them out, you will get more stern lift and I porpoised more.

merlin540 had a 27 Daytona that was very fast and I think he tried lots of different combinations. I haven't seen him post in a while though.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Everyone, talked to Hydromotive today, they report that with a nose cone water will be directed up to the side intakes and that a low water pickup is not necessary. They report boats which have drive centerlines 1 to 2 inches above the bottom running without low water pickups. I am buying it . Should I?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i put an eddie marine nose cone on my sonic,never lost anything in speed,but before when i got up around 80 mph you could feel the drive dragging through the water in the steering wheel,after the nose cone the steering wheel feels the same at any speed.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Sean! You give good advice and nobody listens!

Give me a call or shoot me a PM. I've got something out this way for ya'. Either way let's hook up in Miami.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

As said; I don't believe in nosecones on later Bravo's UNLESS YOU PLAN TO RUN NEAR 90. Then Bravo needs one. I like Hydromotive's and I think their judgement can be trusted. --- JP
Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for advice, I do think the shape of the hydromotives fits my needs the best. The crescent shape doesn't look as good on the trailer but it is supposed to counteract the lift nose cones give due to the increase in surface area. I will let everyone know what happens when the weather breaks. Eric
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Registered

One Very important thing to consider is your "X" dimension and what angle you are trimming your drive at during top speed.
If your drive is very deep, most likely, you trim your drive very far out of the water at speed.
Now, looking from the side, is the tip of your nose cone directly in front of your propshaft center(if you are trimmed way out), nope it's below it. You aren't very well helping with the hydrodynamics, you are just poking a deeper hole in the water.
If your drive is set up with a very shallow prop depth the drive is run flatter puttin the pointy part right in front, where it needs to be.
With your boat on the trailer, trim your drive to where you have it for max speed and take alook from the side, picture how the cone will look, and how the water will pass over it.
Every boat is going to be different, but just a little more to consider.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Registered

Zanie, Point well taken. My boat does not require a lot of trim, so I think I will be alright with this. The main reason I am doing this is to get more intake water flow, I beleive it will work, if not then off come the cones and on go the transom pickups. The Hydromotive people insists this will work. Eric
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

I had the Eddie nose cone on a previous boat and didn't see much difference in speed but the boat would only hit 82. Out of the hole and handling at mid-range was not as good; didn't like it. If you're not a good (excellent) body man, have them installed by a professional.

After my experience, I would save my chips and go with the lower sport drives when I could. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if my boat goes 94 Mph with a high drive height which "type/kind" of nose cone and what kind of gains might I expect? Has anyone experienced a speed gain? Greg

Quick Reply: Best Nose Cone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.