Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    2000 28 PANTERA

Methanol Additive

HI I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH EFI MOTORS. I HAD A LOW SPEED MISS IN A 496 THAT WAS A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS TO DIAGNOSE. TURNS OUT TO SUPPOSEDLY BE THE METHANOL ADDITIVE IN THE FUEL . IT WAS ACTUALLY GUMMING UP THE INJECTORS. I BOAT IN NEW YORK SO SUPPOSEDLY THERE IS ALOT OF ADDITIVES ALLOWED IN THE FUEL . TOOK A LONG TIME TO FIGURE OUT AND I AM HOPING THIS IS ACTUALLY THE WHOLE PROBLEM. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS RUN INTO ANYTHING LIKE THIS undefined

Charter Member #927 Charter Member Payton's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 34' Super Hawaii

Re: Methanol Additive

I'm not sure if it will be of any difference, but the gasoline aditive is Ethenol, not Methenol. The problem with alcohol is that it will absorb water. If your gas sits over a long time, more than a month, you should put some stabilizer in it.
    The other option gas makers have for an aditive is MTBE. It won't absorb water, but it never goes away if spilled! I like the choice of Ethenol much better. Besides the fact that I am a farmer and a lot of my corn goes to make the stuff.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2000 28 PANTERA

This Happened With Fresh Gas And I Was Told Again That Methanol Was The Additive Not Ethanol Have To See What Happens When The Weather Breaks

My Boats:
    1991 34' Super Hawaii

I think you were told wrong. Methenal was used back in the 80s and it caused all sorts of troubles with gakets and seals. It gave gasahol a bad name.
    We produce Ethynol from the corn I grow. I am a farmer and an investor in an Ethynal plant.
    Any old unprotected gas will leave deposits. New gas will then push those deposits into places to plug up.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2008 Gunshow

Payton:

Are you into the flexiable fuel thing?

My Boats:
    1991 34' Super Hawaii

Not really. I do wish soy diesel was more availible. It would be really cool if I could make it myself.

Most heavily populated areas are required to use oxygenated fuels . They burn cleaner. This used to be done with MTBE, untill it was found to not deteriorate when spilled and it causes cancer. Now most areas use ethynol as an additive instead of MTBE. Ethynol when spilled simply goes away. It is a much better choice. The only difference your engine can tell is when it cleans your fuel system and plugs something up.

Masher touches my Gold Member Outdrive1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    DCB DCB DCB DCB DCB

Its in our gas all year here in Phoenix because of inversion. I think there were more problems originally with MTBE, especially in carburated motors, but I never here anyone talking about problems because of Ethanol.
    Gm injectors are known for failing early. Back in the late 90's most GM pickups with vortech motors had TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins from the factory) warning of early injector failure. Its just a known problem with GM, they have always been known for injector problems.
    Don't be surprised if one fails, just replace the bad one and move on.

Masher touches my Gold Member Outdrive1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    DCB DCB DCB DCB DCB

Another thing I forgot to mention about MTBE, I'm pretty sure they quit using it because they were afraid that it pollutes the ground water and there is no way to clean it up once it does. Too much liability associated with it.