Sea Strainers >

Sea Strainers

Notices

Sea Strainers

Old 01-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Sea Strainers

Noone has mentioned this, but don't sea strainer also provide a more constant supply of water? Like when the boat leaves the water for a second the water in the strainer will buffer the second where no water is being picked up? Especially on boats with thru hull pickups. It can also buffer upon engine start up? These aspest can and should extend pump life.

just another thought.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steet
Why run sea strainers. I have seen people pickup sand, etc. with them and ruin their pumps and mine without sea strainers just runs on through and keeps going. Is there really an advantage or is it just in your mines?
I have fresh water cooling if this matters. Just asking, since I do not have them and see no advantage
Steve,

Guess I never thought about those issues you listed.

We swear buy our strainers, they have saved us a lot of money from having to eat out. Yes our Strainers have caught 100's of pounds of Shrimp! We look forward to coastal trips.

Every time we come to a no wake the wife has me to lift the hatch so she can see what our catch looks like. Nothing like fresh shimp after a hard day of boating!

I'm going to talk to Fred about the new style and see if I can get some that will catch Lobster and Flounder!

Doc
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Marine Machine strainers and they seem to work well, easy to clean but kinda expensive. Almost all of my time is in fresh water but you would be surprised what they pick up in a lake. A must for salt water, sand, etc. as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Steve,

Guess I never thought about those issues you listed.

We swear buy our strainers, they have saved us a lot of money from having to eat out. Yes our Strainers have caught 100's of pounds of Shrimp! We look forward to coastal trips.

Every time we come to a no wake the wife has me to lift the hatch so she can see what our catch looks like. Nothing like fresh shimp after a hard day of boating!

I'm going to talk to Fred about the new style and see if I can get some that will catch Lobster and Flounder!

Doc

By George I will buy some. I have been buying shrimp at the docks in Georgetown and now I can get them for free. I knew I was missing something.
Hey, how are the motors coming along. I have not talked to you lately. This weather is not boating weather for us so we are shielded from the public.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm sure it's personal preference, but I too have the Marine Machine racing sea strainers with low water pickups. I can't imagine running without them. Those in Too Old's pictures sure are pretty!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK fred, email me how much, along w/ that guage depth info i need so i can start cutting away.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm also open to suggestions...i have a 29 scarab twin 350 mag mpi's, bravo 1's, and looking for a decent pair of strainers, open to a pre-owned pair for the right money. more worries about astetics then looks.