Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Notices

Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil's New Gear Lube

I have been using Amsoil Series 2000 75W90 Synthetic Gear Lube (TGR) in my Bravo I's for several years. I ordered new lube oil last week and received their "NEW" replacement lube (Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear 75W90 Gear Lube (SVG). I hate change!!!! Does anyone know anything about this new product?????? Is it going to be as good as the Series 2000??

Thanks,
Dail
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

Default Re: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

I called tech two days ago and was told that SVG is not the stuff you want to be lubricating your Bravo's with.
The additives are too harsh on brass and any soft metals that would be inside of drives in general.
The tech person told me to keep on using the AGL that I've presently been using.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Hydrocruiser is the one to ask.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

On Page 115 of the February 2005 Powerboat Magazine you will find an ad from the folks at Teague. They state that they use Amsoil Series 2000 Racing Synthetic "TGR" 75W-90 GL-5 gear-lube as factory fill in their TCM Platinum XR Drives. That speaks volumes about the product as they TESTED it in lower units sold for high HP and torque applications.

Amsoil no longer offers this product at their corporate website. Instead they now offer a "Severe Gear" Extreme Pressure (EP) lube. Product SVG. It's a GL-5

Know why Amsoil techs told Strikin not to use SVG GL-5 in a lower drive unit?? I did some research and found that the proprietary AMSOIL additives in "Severe Gear" form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces. So it countains sulfur in some form and usually that is co-valently bonded to a metallic particle; probably iron. Add water to sulfur and some heat and byproducts from breakdown and you could see sulfuric acid as well. These ingredients may be rough on the softer metals in the lower unit. I agree that before I would use this product in a drive it would have to be recommended by Amsoil and tested. Interesting to say the least. So for now anyways "Severe Gear Amsoil Lube" is off the list until further notice for lower units in my books and as per Amsoil's advice as well not to use it in this application. Too bad they took Series 2000 off the market.

The 80W-90 GL-4 ALU is not as high rated for load as the Series 2000 product the Teagues used. I would definately go with Series 2000 if it were still available; but it is gone it seems. I am not keen on using a GL-4 in the drive when you can get GL-5 lubes.

It will be interesting to see what the Teagues change over to now that the Series 2000 "TGR" has been replaced.

So right now I can't give you an answer as to which Amsoil product to use based on what I am hearing as historically I always liked the GL-5 or GL-5+ products best; such as Redline Heavy and Mobil-1 along with the former Amsoil Series 2000 and Royal Purple Max gear-lube is also GL-5 rated. I could never get the true rating of Merc's HP as I tried calling etc but is supposedly semi-synthetic and nobody could state the rating to me.

Somebody write Powerboat Magazine "Teagues on Tech" and get thier scope of the situation.
Attached Thumbnails Amsoil's New Gear Lube-svg_350pxh.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-29-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thedykstras
Hydrocruiser is the one to ask.

Oil Changing Instructions for Women:

1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3,000 since the last oil change.
2. Drink a cup of coffee.
3. 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

$20.00 for oil change
$1.00 for coffee.

TOTAL: $21.00

Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1. Go to store, spend $50.00 for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree.
2. Get home to discover that the used oil container is full.
3. Instead of taking it to local repair garage for recycling, dump in hole in back yard.
4. Open a beer and drink it.
5. Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
6. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
7. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
8. Place drain pan under engine.
9. Look for 9/16th box end wrench.
10. give up and use crescent wrench.
11. Unscrew drain plug.
12. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil ; get hot oil on you in process.
13. Clean up mess.
14. Have another beer while watching oil drain.
15. Look for oil filter wrench.
16. Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
17. Beer.
18. Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
19. Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
20. Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
21. Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
22. Walk to 7 Eleven; buy beer.
23. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
24. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
25. Remember drain plug from step 11.
26. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
27. Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.
28. Drink Beer.
29. Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
30. Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
31. Drink beer.
32. Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
33. Bang head on floor boards in reaction to step 31.
34. Begin cussing a fit.
35. Throw wrench.
36. Swear 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss July (1992) in her overabundant chest.
36. Beer.
37. Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38. Beer.
39. Beer.
40. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41. Beer.
42. Lower car from jack stands.
43. Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
44. Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 23.
45. Beer
46. Test drive car.
47. Get pulled over; arrested for driving under the influence.
48. Car gets impounded.
49. Make bail: Get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

$50.00 parts
$25.00 Beer
$75.00 replacement set of jack stands
$1,000.00 Bail
$200.00 Impound and towing fee

TOTAL: $1,350.00

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-29-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered

The Amsoil AGL that I use is GL-5.
It's available in 5gal. buckets.
AGT in 5gal pails is the same thing that Amsoil sells in smaller containers
as there marine lower unit gear oil.
It's rated GL-4.
I've used AGT in Bravo's for quite a while with no problems before switching to AGL.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by StrikinLightnin
The Amsoil AGL that I use is GL-5.
It's available in 5gal. buckets.
AGT in 5gal pails is the same thing that Amsoil sells in smaller containers
as there marine lower unit gear oil.
It's rated GL-4.
I've used AGT in Bravo's for quite a while with no problems before switching to AGL.
Yea..the Amsoil ALU product is GL-4 and that is what they have labeled as "marine gear-lube". The Amsoil AGL is GL-5. It's 80W so a bit heavier but probably still fine. This would be the next best Amsoil product to replace their former Series 2000 75W-90. This is probably the best way to go for Amsoil fans now that Series 2000 is gone and "Severe Gear" is not right for this application. I wonder why they have a 75W and an 80W-90 product?? Is there that much difference in viscosity and if so does it make a difference?? More drag and less HP to the prop? It may be insignificant. Who knows.

I wonder if Teague will adapt to this product in place of Series 2000 since it appears to be discontinued?

Amsoil has so many "variations" of the same "product" it's hard to keep track of what's what sometimes.

So it looks like our GL-5 synthetic lube choices are now:
Amsoil 80W-90 AGL

If you want a synthetic GL-5 75W-90 then you need to go with:
Mobil-1 GL-5+ 75W-90 or
Royal Purple Max gear 75W-90 GL-5 or
Redline Heavy Shockproof is a 75W-90 with a massive 75W-250 EP rating. GL-6

It's a tough call because Series 2000 Amsoil was a great and tested product and it is gone. The racers that voiced an opinion a few months back thought that Redline Heavy Shockproof and Royal Purple Max gearlube were outstanding and some also raced with Mobil-1 and liked it. The concensus amongst the racing crowd seemed to favor Royal Purple in the event of water leaking into the case as it displaces water and may save a drive in the process. A couple guys swore by Redline but we heard a few complaints of a foam backup into the collection jars.

After a good hard look at everything that was said and from what I can see pick any of the 4 products listed above and you should be in great shape.

Thanks Strikin
Attached Thumbnails Amsoil's New Gear Lube-agl_350pxh.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-29-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Registered

OK guys,

This is my first posting and I think I can clear up lots of misconceptions regarding the new AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube (Product Code AGM). It is SAE 75W/80W-90 viscosity which means that you can use it where either a 75W-90 or 80W-90 is recommended. It also meets GL-4 and GL-5 performance specifications. So you can use it where 75W-90 or 80W-90 and GL-4 or GL-5 is recommended. This is a synthetic marine gear lube manufactured and tested specifically for marine applications and not just an automotive gear lube. Most sterndrives require GL-5 performance specification. This means that any GL-5 gear lube must contain Extreme Pressure additives (sulfur phosphorus). The trick is to formulate these additives to perform where possible water contamination can occur, such as below the water line in sterndrives. The AMSOIL AGM does not loose any extreme pressure performance even when subjected to 10% water contamination. It also does not foam when subjected to 10% water contamination. This means that is provides full film protection for high performance boats even when subjected to shock loading that can be caused by cavitation and without foaming or loosing any extreme pressure protection.

Most of this information can be found on AMSOIL.com web page under Product information – Gear Lubes and Chain case lubricants – AGM Universal Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 .

The web page also addresses the shock loading affect that cavitation from heavily loaded engines can cause. It seems that the extreme pressure protection built into the new AGM marine gear lube is about 50% greater than conventional gear lubes.

I know that the Series 2000 gear lube was very much liked, however the new AGM has more testing in regards to marine environment than the Series 2000 ever did. The oil that replaced the Series 2000 is called Severe Gear and is a 75W-90 Synthetic gear lube. It was designed for severe service in differential applications under extreme load and high temperatures such as the tow vehicles you use to tow your boats. Yes it can be used in your sterndrives with confidence also.

I hope this helps the members to understand more about the new AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Gear Lube.

Sincerely,

Kevin Dinwiddie
STLE/CLS
Technical Product Mgr.
Drivetrain and Power Transmissions
AMSOIL Inc.
Superior, WI 54880
Old 03-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Registered

Good, cuz I just ordered a case...
Old 03-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Registered

What about Alisyn Pro Gear 21?

Does anyone have any experience with Alisyn?

Quick Reply: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.