p/s pump and engine rotation >

p/s pump and engine rotation

Notices

p/s pump and engine rotation

Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p/s pump and engine rotation

I purchased a power steering pump recently and it didn't come with a pulley. Went to a junk yard, ops I mean "auto recycling yard" to get a pulley. During my conversation with the guy there I mentioned this was for a boat. He asked me if I got the right pump because car engines rotate in the opposite direction than car engines. Now I know the are left and right rotating engines in boats but mine is standard rotating. Here are my questions:
1- Are power steering pumps directional?
2- When determining the rotation of an engine is it looking at it from the front or back?
3- Does a standard car engine and a standard marine engine rotate in the same direction?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: p/s pump and engine rotation

are you sure you have Counter Rotating Engines ? If you have Bravo Drives I would bet they are both standard Rotation and one of your drives is turning opposite the other .....
Old 02-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Registered

I have a single engine and it's standard rotation. The questions are general questions and have nothing to do with my engine.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: p/s pump and engine rotation

99.9% of all gas V-8 boat engines are standard rotation, as they came from GM or Ford. They are all left-hand or counter-clockwise rotation. This is determined by standing behind the engine to note rotation. The automotive power-steering pump will work. The rotation of the propellers have been changed in the transmissions and/or drives for at least 20 years now. Although I would have simply gone to a Napa parts store or some other good auto parts store & bought a new one for reliablility reasons. They are quite affordable when compared to the Mercruiser versions of the same pump(Delco). Make sure you also use the proper pulley removal/installation tool, which can also be purchased at Napa, instead of just hammering on or pressing on the new pulley, which will damage the pump. Hope this helps answer your question(s). Ed
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Ed
I did get the pump new from an auto store but it came without a pulley. My old pump style was completely different so I can't use the pulley from that. When you say the right pulley are you refering to diameter? What is the correct pulley? Thanks

Just re read your answer and saw you were refering to the correct pulley tool, not pulley. Are there different pulleys?

Last edited by CN24; 02-01-2005 at 08:43 AM. Reason: missed something
Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Registered

Just to clarify a bit, outdrive applications almost always have standard-rotation engines (except for exteme high-horsepower setups) while inboard applications quite often have a counter-rotating engine on one side. In the case of an inboard application that has two standard-rotation engines the transmission on the counter-rotating side is utilized to reverse the propshaft direction, such as the Hurth transmissions used in the Sea Rays.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can rent the pulley remover/installer tool for free from AutoZone. You actually purchase it, but are refunded your $ fully when returned, unless you decide to keep it. There is no time frame on the rental, within reason. Be sure to install the new pulley on the same distance as the old one so your belt stays in line.

The auto salvage guy is clueless.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

May not be top notch quality, but you can't beat this price..........

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40749
Old 02-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Registered

still two questions
Are P/S pumps directional?
Does pulley size matter and if so what size pulley?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Registered

Why not return the pump and get one that matches your old pump so you can reuse your pulley? If you buy a replacement pulley get one that is the same size as the original one. Pulley size does matter. A small pulley will spin faster and if you go too small, you have to worry about throwing belts at high RPMs.

Last edited by pachangalpina; 02-02-2005 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: p/s pump and engine rotation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.